In a recent GLASE webinar, Jonny Reader, research associate at the University of Nottingham and design engineer at V-Farm talked about the current fruit and vegetable market in the UK and insecurities surrounding Brexit. Here are the 5 take home points:
- UK farming activities relay on forging seasonal labor and the future is uncertainly due to the eminent UK departure from the European Union.
- 30% of the food consumed in the UK is imported from the European Union
- In 2017 the UK imported $13.84 billion worth of fruits and vegetables
- Automation is viewed as a promising solution for labor shortage
- Europe represents 21% of the total vertical farming market, behind Asia - Pacific (42%) and North America (30%).
In view of the current European market situation, there is an increasing opportunity for vertical farms to fulfill the local vegetable demands.
Watch the webinar here:
For more information:
Greenhouse Lighting and Systems Engineering