With the GreenTech coming up this month we're getting in touch with several horticultural intellectuals, entrepreneurs, innovators and general greenhouse geeks. Today Grodan tells us more on their tailored substrates.
What is your contribution to the advancement of the global horticulture industry?
Our growing media solutions are designed for Precision Growing, which is the most sustainable way of growing. This is all about giving the plant exactly what it needs. This effective way of growing leads to a better yield and quality of fresh produce while at the same time using valuable resources in the most efficient way. As such Grodan brings the best of sustainability together, facilitating an efficient way of producing nutritious food to keep people healthy, with a positive impact on the planet by minimising the use of resources, whilst at the same time helping growers optimise their profit to sustain their businesses in the future.
What would you say is the most important topic in horticulture at the moment?
- Growing under light
- Emission free growing
- Biological control
- Organic vs sustainable growing
What will you be doing at the GreenTech? Will you present any novelties during the trade show?
With the tagline ‘Sustainable growing starts with a sustainable substrate’ Grodan will present visitors with its latest innovations such as Grodan Supreme for the cultivation of sweet peppers and Grodan Elite for the cultivation of tomatoes. Both techniques resemble new crop specific growing media that can be tailored to the characteristics of each crop. Moreover, Grodan will present its latest substrate technology which is now widely available: NG2.0 a technology that ensures a better utilisation of the entire substrate.
Furthermore, we will share the vision of Grodan on the future of greenhouse technology. Developments like big data, machine learning and how this will influence the horticultural sector will be covered.
Grodan will also participate in additional activities at the exhibition, please read the details below:
• GreenTech Summit on 11 June. The theme of this year’s GreenTech Summit is “The future of horticulture: Insights for the Next Decade”. During Breakout Session C “The Next Growing Solutions”, Vincent Deenen, Director Marketing Grodan, will radiate the vision of Grodan on the future of greenhouse technology. Developments like big data, machine learning and how this will influence the horticultural sector will be covered. After his presentation, a forum discussion will take place with other captains of industry. Location: Forum
• 13 June. 11:30 – 12:00 hrs. – Stuart Lambie, Sustainability Manager Grodan, will talk about the potential for global water and resource savings in greenhouse production. Location: Climate, Water & Energy Theatre. And from 16:00 – 16:30 hrs. – Maarten Coelen, Sales Support Grodan, will present root zone management, a key factor that needs to be optimized. Location: Climate, Water & Energy Theatre.
• 13 June. 10:30 – 12:00 hrs. – The Grodan startup challenge. Grodan challenged the best start-ups in IoT technology, AI and mobile apps: How can we apply new sensor technologies to measure key root-zone parameters: for example, nutrient content, nutrient uptake and root zone health? In the battleground arena of GreenTech 2018, 5 selected start-ups will pitch onstage and discuss at roundtable sessions a solution and vision for collaboration to secure a partnership. Location: Trends & Innovation Theatre.
• The GreenTech innovation tour is a marked tour, guiding visitors along all the innovations that have been submitted for the GreenTech Innovation Award. Also, Grodan submitted an innovation for the GreenTech Innovation award: ‘Grodan Supreme’. The Grodan Supreme slab will be displayed at the Grodan stand.
What project that you’re currently involved in are you most proud of?
Growers around the world are looking for ways to optimize their growing strategy with solutions that are customized to the crops they grow. Grodan anticipated this and began developing substrates for one or more crop types. We now have a unique portfolio of substrates that are tailored to the characteristics of each crop, such as Grodan Supreme for the cultivation of sweet peppers and Grodan Elite for the cultivation of tomatoes.
Moreover, Grodan will present its latest substrate technology which is now widely available: NG2.0 a technology that ensures a better utilisation of the entire substrate.
How do you see the future of horticulture?
The digital transformation will have an enormous impact on horticulture. Big data, machine learning will get a prominent position in the daily operations of growers.