- Sales/Marketing Professional - Europe
- Looking for an opportunity in India
- Procurement & Sales Manager, Potato Division - Lobinstown, Co. Meath, Ireland
- European regional agent and new sales manager
- Head Grower - Owatonna (Minnesota) USA
- Teeltspecialist (Proeftuin & Veredeling) - Hendrik-Ido-Ambacht, Netherlands
- Farm Manager - Riana, Tasmania, Australia
- Industry Development Manager - Rocklea, Australia
- Commercial Manager | Huelva, Spain | Soft Fruits
- Farm manager / Senior grower seeking for his next role
Top 5 -yesterday
- Tasmania is home to one of horticulture's hidden gems: hydroponic grown wasabi
- Precision steering for tomato crops thanks to stonewool products
- “We’ve developed tasty, high-yielding, TYLCV-resistant tomato varieties”
- "Local labour can only replace the experienced harvest workers to a limited extent"
- Vertical Farming Congress to be held in London
Top 5 -last week
- Houweling’s Tomatoes wins Ultra-Clima greenhouse court cases and is awarded first sub-licence
- Yesterday was a peculiar day in the horticultural world....
- First report of ToBRFV infecting sweet pepper in Italy
- At least 3 sources of ToBRFV in Dutch tomato cultivation
- Japanese autotech giant Denso invests in Certhon
Top 5 -last month
- Various ways of hydroponic growing in tropical climates
- "Risk of E. coli in hydroponic and aquaponic systems may be greater than once thought"
- Have a look at a container farm in India
- 'Blueberry used to be an extensive crop, but is becoming more and more intensive"
- Overview: Global impact of Corona virus on fresh produce markets
Blockchain and cryptocurrency to usher in new era for supply chains
“At least 40% of my trade is with Africa and the main challenge is a shortage of liquidity in many countries. We have a lot of problems getting payments and, while it’s currently one step too far to use cryptocurrencies, I am pretty sure that within five to six years I will be dealing with digital currencies to facilitate payments.
“And it’s all going to be done via automatic systems. Ordering will be done automatically –probably not wholesale, but certainly retail– and we are already doing our first trials where I can see retail sales which triggers production orders I need to prepare.”
Wiskerke Onions was an early adopter of Maersk’s remote container management system that allows shippers to monitor the condition of perishable goods while they are in transit, and Ms Wiskerke said further automation of supply chain processes would bring huge benefits to the cashflow of all parties. “Think about shipments; the moment the container arrives and the quality of the cargo is satisfactory, then payment should be automatic.”
Thomas Eskesen, previously Maersk Line’s director of reefer trades and now an independent consultant, claimed the potential of cryptocurrencies to speed up payment processes, especially in countries short of liquidity would be “super valuable”.
However, Chris Swartz, director of global transportation and logistics services at giant US meat shipper AJC International, warned that hurdles remained to be overcome before other shippers felt comfortable with the new technology.
Theloadstar.co.uk quoted him as saying: “I think there is a lot to be sorted out. Conceptually it makes a lot of sense, but from a commodity trader’s point of view, we don’t trade in currencies as well because we are taking enough risk in the commodities themselves. Before we would move forward with something like cryptocurrencies, we would want to make sure we aren’t trading currencies – It would have to find a stable platform for us to feel comfortable with that.”
Receive the daily newsletter in your email for free | Click here
Other news in this sector:
- 2018-04-30 Netherlands: Local ties, sustainability and countering food waste
- 2018-04-27 US: Fresh processor now bringing fresh cut produce coast to coast
- 2018-04-26 US (VA): Organic farm uses cooling system to improve handling
- 2018-04-25 “We provide remote, in-transit corrective actions to containerized shipments”
- 2018-04-24 Vegetable packer launches new veggie noodles and rice
- 2018-04-23 Europe uses Dutch calculation model for risk assessment of pesticides
- 2018-04-20 Study shows reusable plastic containers emit 60% less CO2
- 2018-04-19 Microsoft and Bühler looking to close the chain
- 2018-04-18 "After all, you want your product to reach the customer in perfect order"
- 2018-04-17 Chopped kits are biggest segment in salad category
- 2018-04-16 NASA using Modified Atmosphere Packaging to send produce into space
- 2018-04-13 Ultra-thin MA film seeks to revolutionize packaging
- 2018-04-12 Nanocomposites improve tomato and peach shelf life
- 2018-04-11 Italy: Only three hours between harvesting and freezing
- 2018-04-10 “Vegetable spaghetti is now a consumer product”
- 2018-04-09 Italy: Strawberries reach consumers in 24 hours
- 2018-04-06 Blockchain and cryptocurrency to usher in new era for supply chains
- 2018-04-05 Non-invasive tool to assess fruit ripeness
- 2018-04-04 Thailand: Call to innovation in climate controlled post-harvest
- 2018-04-03 Special Post-Harvest at HortiDaily this month