- (Senior) Sourcing Manager Soft Fruit
- IPM Manager - Morehead (KY) USA
- Labor Manager - Morehead (KY) USA
- Human Resources Manager - Morehead (KY) USA
- Assistant Grower - Morehead (KY) USA
- Head Grower - Morehead (KY) USA
- General Manager - Morehead (KY) USA
- Greenhouse Installation Specialist - Hallam, Victoria, Australia
- Maintenance Manager - Cathedral City, California USA
- Junior Teelt manager (Grower) - Netherlands/Germany
Top 5 -yesterday
- What is the cost of vertical farming?
- Horticulture lighting metrics: Understand grow lights
- "We can sleep easy knowing the system is working well and alerting us if there is any issue"
- £3 million capital raise for LED supplier
- "Our goal is to supply growers only with technique that is of use to them"
Top 5 -last week
Top 5 -last month
Blockchain and cryptocurrency to usher in new era for supply chains
“At least 40% of my trade is with Africa and the main challenge is a shortage of liquidity in many countries. We have a lot of problems getting payments and, while it’s currently one step too far to use cryptocurrencies, I am pretty sure that within five to six years I will be dealing with digital currencies to facilitate payments.
“And it’s all going to be done via automatic systems. Ordering will be done automatically –probably not wholesale, but certainly retail– and we are already doing our first trials where I can see retail sales which triggers production orders I need to prepare.”
Wiskerke Onions was an early adopter of Maersk’s remote container management system that allows shippers to monitor the condition of perishable goods while they are in transit, and Ms Wiskerke said further automation of supply chain processes would bring huge benefits to the cashflow of all parties. “Think about shipments; the moment the container arrives and the quality of the cargo is satisfactory, then payment should be automatic.”
Thomas Eskesen, previously Maersk Line’s director of reefer trades and now an independent consultant, claimed the potential of cryptocurrencies to speed up payment processes, especially in countries short of liquidity would be “super valuable”.
However, Chris Swartz, director of global transportation and logistics services at giant US meat shipper AJC International, warned that hurdles remained to be overcome before other shippers felt comfortable with the new technology.
Theloadstar.co.uk quoted him as saying: “I think there is a lot to be sorted out. Conceptually it makes a lot of sense, but from a commodity trader’s point of view, we don’t trade in currencies as well because we are taking enough risk in the commodities themselves. Before we would move forward with something like cryptocurrencies, we would want to make sure we aren’t trading currencies – It would have to find a stable platform for us to feel comfortable with that.”
Receive the daily newsletter in your email for free | Click here
Other news in this sector:
- 2018-04-30 Netherlands: Local ties, sustainability and countering food waste
- 2018-04-27 US: Fresh processor now bringing fresh cut produce coast to coast
- 2018-04-26 US (VA): Organic farm uses cooling system to improve handling
- 2018-04-25 “We provide remote, in-transit corrective actions to containerized shipments”
- 2018-04-24 Vegetable packer launches new veggie noodles and rice
- 2018-04-23 Europe uses Dutch calculation model for risk assessment of pesticides
- 2018-04-20 Study shows reusable plastic containers emit 60% less CO2
- 2018-04-19 Microsoft and Bühler looking to close the chain
- 2018-04-18 "After all, you want your product to reach the customer in perfect order"
- 2018-04-17 Chopped kits are biggest segment in salad category
- 2018-04-16 NASA using Modified Atmosphere Packaging to send produce into space
- 2018-04-13 Ultra-thin MA film seeks to revolutionize packaging
- 2018-04-12 Nanocomposites improve tomato and peach shelf life
- 2018-04-11 Italy: Only three hours between harvesting and freezing
- 2018-04-10 “Vegetable spaghetti is now a consumer product”
- 2018-04-09 Italy: Strawberries reach consumers in 24 hours
- 2018-04-06 Blockchain and cryptocurrency to usher in new era for supply chains
- 2018-04-05 Non-invasive tool to assess fruit ripeness
- 2018-04-04 Thailand: Call to innovation in climate controlled post-harvest
- 2018-04-03 Special Post-Harvest at HortiDaily this month