- Assistant Cultivation Manager - Capitol Heights (MD) USA
- Greenhouse Investment Analyst - Portland (OR) USA
- Market Manager - Horticulture, USA
- Procurement and Marketing Manager - Kenya
- Head Grower - Bahrain
- Quality Assurance Manager - (Victoria, NSW or Tasmania) Australia
- (Assistant) Manager
- Senior Commodities Trader | Pulses | Ukraine
- Manager Production Seedlings - Hendrik-Ido-Ambacht
- UK Sales Manager - (South of the UK)
Top 5 -yesterday
Top 5 -last week
Top 5 -last month
- Unmanned system lifts up vertical farming to the next level
- "Vertical farming is a great answer for food security worldwide"
- Turkish greenhouse builder successfully launches 7 hectare Polyclima greenhouse concept in Qatar
- Temperature is the biggest challenge for cultivation in the Maldives
- What will the urban greenhouse of the future look like?
North-east India: Farm-side cold storages for vegetables
According to official figures, around 25% of fruits and vegetables harvested in the Bihar district are damaged before marketing because of lack of proper storage facilities. This is a huge number, as Bihar produced 16.6 million tonnes of vegetables and 4.23 million tonnes of fruits in 2016-17.
"The state government will provide a subsidy of 650,000 rupees (8,100 euros) to set up one portable cold storage. It would be solar-powered, so farmers would not have to bear the recurring power cost," said Agriculture Minister Prem Kumar.
A telegraphindia.com report claims that if proper storage facilities are not present, the volume of damaged produce would only increase in coming years as the state is aiming to take production levels of vegetables to 25.3 million tonnes and fruits to 6 million tonnes by 2021-22.
A portable cold storage costs around 1.3 million rupees (16,300 euros) and has a capacity to store 5 tonnes of produce at a low temperature. The department has a target to set up 38 solar portable cold storages in the current fiscal year.
Receive the daily newsletter in your email for free | Click here
Other news in this sector:
- 2020-07-23 Keeping cool in summer
- 2020-05-28 Green refrigeration system
- 2020-05-27 The benefits of temperature monitoring in fresh produce supply chains
- 2020-05-26 Study takes a new view on storing tomatoes in the fridge
- 2020-04-06 Government investment in airfreight welcomed by Australian vegetable growers
- 2020-01-16 Vacuum cooling is widely used for fresh produce
- 2019-09-25 Significance of vacuum cooling for fresh produce
- 2019-07-08 "It is difficult to lower the temperature in the vegetable core to the required four degrees."
- 2019-06-03 Air distribution mat against temperature fluctuations
- 2019-02-01 New cold store and cooking facility for Swedish vegetables
- 2018-07-04 Vacuum cooling for every small hold farmer on the planet
- 2018-06-27 US (CA): JSK cooling system for Sunniva
- 2018-06-07 Netherlands: IPHandlers builds new Perishable Centre
- 2018-02-27 North-east India: Farm-side cold storages for vegetables
- 2018-01-04 Absence of cold storage: Indian tomato farmers resort to distress sales
- 2017-12-13 Cold chain solutions for Nigerian farmers
- 2017-12-13 Fresh investment poised to bring innovative device to exporters worldwide
- 2017-12-12 India: Cold storage for growers in the orange bowl of Manipur
- 2017-11-22 What is hydronic cooling?
- 2017-11-13 China: Demand for refrigerated trucks is steadily growing