- VP Growing Operations
- Head Grower Strawberries, Australia
- Growing Manager for Hydroponic strawberry producer
- Farm Manager Costa Rica
- Regional Sales Manager Fresh Produce
- Head Grower Strawberries, Norway
- Export Trade Manager
- Business Developer - Northern Europe
- Orchard Sector Manager
Canadian government called upon to create food policy council
“With such a short time frame for its development, A Food Policy for Canada alone cannot address all the complex issues and long-term challenges facing Canada’s food system,” said Prof. Evan Fraser, director of U of G’s Arrell Food Institute and holder of the Canada Research Chair in Global Food Security in the Department of Geography.
A proposed national food policy council would provide evidence-based advice on such challenges as food insecurity, diet-related disease, food safety and international trade, Fraser said.
Establishing such a group is the recommendation of a report released by an informal ad hoc working group on food policy governance, which includes Fraser and other members of the Arrell Food Institute. Also involved were the Canadian Federation of Agriculture, Food Secure Canada, Maple Leaf Centre for Action on Food Security and the J.W. McConnell Family Foundation.
The report was compiled at the request of an informal network of organizations in food and farming, civil society, and philanthropic and academic sectors.
Its recommendation follows discussions held by various stakeholders since the federal government announced this past spring that it plans to create a national food policy.
That policy is expected to set out short- and long-term goals for Canada’s food system under four themes: increasing access to affordable food; improving health and food safety; conserving soil, water and air; and growing high-quality food.
More than 40,000 Canadians have taken part in government-sponsored consultations intended to help shape a national policy, including a forum held at U of G.
Those discussions repeatedly called for a national group to support government and a Canadian food policy, the report said.
The proposed council would include members from government, civil society, academia and the private sector, and would monitor and advise on implementation of the national food policy.
“Equally important, a national food policy council will help build collaboration, elevate and coordinate programs, and drive change among these diverse stakeholders to accelerate progress toward the food policy’s objectives,” said Fraser, who spoke earlier this year to the House of Commons standing committee on food and agriculture.
“A national food policy requires thinking and rethinking about everything related to food,” he said, citing such issues as healthy eating, poverty and food security as well as environmental impacts of farming.
A Canadian policy must also consider economic opportunities, including food exports and digital technologies, notably big data and artificial intelligence, he said.
“Aligning actions, expertise and new programs with the national food policy, and establishing appropriate governance mechanisms, is also critical.”
Source: University of Guelph
Receive the daily newsletter in your email for free | Click here
Other news in this sector:
- 2023-10-03 “The campaign is ending in the Netherlands, which is offering lower prices that are affecting those of Almeria cucumbers”
- 2023-10-03 After-summer drinks at Ridder
- 2023-10-03 "We are ready to expand into major international produce markets"
- 2023-10-03 Growtec opens North American office
- 2023-10-02 Samskip and Boluda Lines join forces to launch new Spain-Ireland-UK Service
- 2023-10-02 UK: House of Lords Horticultural Sector Committee visits Kent-based vertical farm
- 2023-10-02 New greenhouse covers promise to save water, energy, and improve profitability
- 2023-10-02 CAN (ON): The party is on at the inauguration of Van der Ende's new office in Kingsville
- 2023-10-02 Gentle handling and weighing of vine tomatoes and grapes
- 2023-09-29 "For growers and retailers, we're an open book"
- 2023-09-29 US (KY): "This farm was sold out as soon as it opened"
- 2023-09-29 BioSafe Systems mourns the loss of Michael Larose
- 2023-09-29 Lebanon needs greenhouses for food safety and security too
- 2023-09-29 Eurofins Food Assurance acquires ARS Probata
- 2023-09-29 Said El Ouakili to join Kubo
- 2023-09-29 “We empower growers to excel in cost-effective cultivation, ensuring long-term success"