- Managing Director, UK
- Teelt Specialist Potplanten
- Sales Manager Bio / Netherlands
- Production Manager
- Assistant Professor - Controlled Environments Entomologist
- Technical Development Specialist | Horticulture | France
- Director of Business Development | Middle East | Agtech
- Farm/Production Manager; Berlin (m/w/d)
- Trader Asian Market
- Avocado Growing Manager - Kenya
Top 5 -yesterday
Top 5 -last week
- “Significantly better results with new Iron fertilizers”
- What is the status of tomato brown rugose fruit virus in Europe?
- Race to emission-free greenhouse cultivation pushes growers to keep innovating
- BASF’s vegetable seeds and IUNU partner to advance digital phenotyping for hydroponic lettuce
- Infarm to make strategy shift, cuts 500 jobs
Top 5 -last month
- UK growers stop planting and put nurseries on sale amidst energy crisis and labor shortage
- "You can't grow on water without lights"
- "Our foliage plants grow bigger, faster, and more efficiently"
- "High-tech farmer AppHarvest is running out of money"
- Mobile aeroponic system requires less maintenance and guarantees even irrigation
Jobs for Syrian refugees through innovation in horticulture in Lebanon
Demo Greenhouse under construction
Wageningen University & Research has just started with the construction of a demo greenhouse in the Bekaa Valley as part of this project. The greenhouse is constructed at a research site of the Lebanese Agricultural Research Institute. Last summer a greenhouse has been designed which is affordable for local growers and which is based on the local climate conditions.
This adaptive greenhouse has full side wall openings for a better ventilation then the traditional tunnel. Insect netting reduces the risk of pathogens and decreases the use of pesticides. In early spring a passive heating system provides better growing conditions due to higher night temperatures. The new greenhouses have options for both soil and soilless cultivation. In this demo project we can show three steps of innovation compared to the traditional tunnel with soil cultivation: a traditional tunnel with soilless cultivation, an improved tunnel with cultivation in soil and an improved tunnel with soilless cultivation.
The innovations will lead to lower water use, less pathogens and higher yields. The higher yield are expected to lead to a higher demand for labour and thus more jobs for Syrian refugees. The Lebanese greenhouse constructor Robinson will finish the construction before winter if the weather conditions are favourable. We hope to be able to show the first results to growers in early spring.
The project is being implemented in Lebanon in partnership with the business unit Greenhouse Horticulture of Wageningen University & Research and the Ministry of Foreign Affairs.
Source: Wageningen University & Research
Receive the daily newsletter in your email for free | Click here
Other news in this sector:
- 2022-12-02 Arboretum installs quarantine house and filtered rainwater system to further sustainability efforts
- 2022-11-30 US (WY): Enactus members construct greenhouse for Riverview residents
- 2022-11-29 Air raid shelter becomes underground farm in Clapham, south London
- 2022-11-28 Snacking trend leads to increased year-round production of mini cucumbers
- 2022-11-28 India: Krishnagiri growers are discovering the benefits of CEA
- 2022-11-28 US (AK): BIA awards T&H $2 million for greenhouse expansion project
- 2022-11-25 State media review: North Korea rewards greenhouse workers with new homes
- 2022-11-25 Influence of exogenous application of glycine betaine on strawberry
- 2022-11-23 How to install a double-layer inflated plastic
- 2022-11-22 UK: Heating system explodes on Essex farm, setting greenhouse on fire
- 2022-11-15 Maurice adopted ValkTwinRail ventilation system in its greenhouse in the Netherlands
- 2022-11-14 Texas A&M AgriLife seeks input on controlled environment agriculture
- 2022-11-11 Omaha restaurant uses greenhouse to grow their produce
- 2022-11-08 Philippines: Harnessing digitalization for smart agriculture
- 2022-11-04 US (KY): AppHarvest opens 30-acre indoor farm to grow strawberries and cucumbers
- 2022-11-04 Uzbekistan: Measures defined to support greenhouses
- 2022-11-04 "Urban greenhouses need to be intergrated with the urban environment"
- 2022-11-03 Canadian greenhouse season transitions into Mexico
- 2022-11-02 50 million USD geothermal greenhouse to be established in Kirsehir, Türkiye
- 2022-11-01 Banana growers from Hatay, Türkiye note that greenhouse production costs cause production decline