- Senior Grower UK
- Customer Support Executive
- Sales Representative Substrates Peru
- Head Grower – High Technology Organic Greenhouse
- Import and Export Sales Manager
- Sales Manager - US
- Key Account Manager (f/m/d) - Full-time
- Vice President of Growing Operations
- Account Manager - Canada
- Account Manager - United States
Jobs for Syrian refugees through innovation in horticulture in Lebanon
Demo Greenhouse under construction
Wageningen University & Research has just started with the construction of a demo greenhouse in the Bekaa Valley as part of this project. The greenhouse is constructed at a research site of the Lebanese Agricultural Research Institute. Last summer a greenhouse has been designed which is affordable for local growers and which is based on the local climate conditions.
This adaptive greenhouse has full side wall openings for a better ventilation then the traditional tunnel. Insect netting reduces the risk of pathogens and decreases the use of pesticides. In early spring a passive heating system provides better growing conditions due to higher night temperatures. The new greenhouses have options for both soil and soilless cultivation. In this demo project we can show three steps of innovation compared to the traditional tunnel with soil cultivation: a traditional tunnel with soilless cultivation, an improved tunnel with cultivation in soil and an improved tunnel with soilless cultivation.
The innovations will lead to lower water use, less pathogens and higher yields. The higher yield are expected to lead to a higher demand for labour and thus more jobs for Syrian refugees. The Lebanese greenhouse constructor Robinson will finish the construction before winter if the weather conditions are favourable. We hope to be able to show the first results to growers in early spring.
The project is being implemented in Lebanon in partnership with the business unit Greenhouse Horticulture of Wageningen University & Research and the Ministry of Foreign Affairs.
Source: Wageningen University & Research
Receive the daily newsletter in your email for free | Click here
Other news in this sector:
- 2023-12-08 EBRD and EU have extended support to the Turkmen strawberry business Tudana
- 2023-12-08 "Ensure good overview of extra load from second or third screen on greenhouse construction"
- 2023-12-07 "Groupage transport from Spain to the Netherlands is increasingly tricky"
- 2023-12-07 New top seal pack introduced for leafy greens
- 2023-12-06 Another expansion for Canadian propagator
- 2023-12-06 "What we are going to do here is unique"
- 2023-12-06 Malaysia: Agro aid for Hydroponic innnovation, entrepreneurial growth
- 2023-12-06 Closing greenhouses in Kazakhstan: problems, culprits, and solutions
- 2023-12-05 Inmates will work in the greenhouse in Amasya prison, Turkey
- 2023-12-05 95% of greenhouses in Turkmenistan specialize in tomato production
- 2023-12-05 Ukraine: Greenhouse complex using geothermal energy will be built for EUR 68 mln in Lviv region
- 2023-12-04 Mongolia: 22-ha greenhouse to be completed before year end
- 2023-12-04 Storm causes significant damage to greenhouses in Konya, Turkey
- 2023-12-04 Greenhouse vegetable growers in Kazakhstan can receive 25% subsidies
- 2023-12-01 Liberia: Solidaridad constructs the first post-war cocoa greenhouse
- 2023-12-01 Conviction in fraudulent funds for aquaponic project