- Production Manager
- Assistant Professor - Controlled Environments Entomologist
- Technical Development Specialist | Horticulture | France
- Director of Business Development | Middle East | Agtech
- Farm/Production Manager; Berlin (m/w/d)
- Trader Asian Market
- Avocado Growing Manager - Kenya
- Operations Accountant
- Sales Manager for Nordic countries (H/F)
- Senior Breeder
Top 5 -yesterday
- Coal and pink tomatoes: the challenges for Polish growers
- Healthy seeds, and good germination with Plasma Activated Water seed treatment
- J. Huete International builds high-tech greenhouse for seed research in South America
- NZ: Return of the watermelon
- Tropicalia Greenhouse in Northern France blends perfectly with surroundings
Top 5 -last week
Top 5 -last month
- Zambia: "We produce 5,000 units of lettuce per week, per tunnel, year-round"
- UK growers stop planting and put nurseries on sale amidst energy crisis and labor shortage
- Passive solar greenhouses: How Ladakh farmers are harvesting crops in winter
- "High-tech farmer AppHarvest is running out of money"
- German family company switches from tomato cultivation to hydroponic lettuce
UK: New raspberry varieties Malling Bella and Malling Charm launched
They are the first two raspberry varieties from the East Malling Rubus Breeding Consortium, a partnership originally formed in 2015 between NIAB EMR and the Swiss nursery company Lubera, and more recently joined by commercial soft fruit specialists WB Chambers, Onubafruit and Perfection Fresh. The Consortium breeds, develops and commercialises raspberries and blackberries, internationally, for the professional and garden markets.
Malling Bella and Malling Charm will be launched at the UK’s National Fruit Show in Kent on 26 October. NIAB EMR’s plant breeder Felicidad Fernández says, “These two new primocane fruiting cultivars are already receiving positive feedback from UK retailers and will be grown commercially in the UK from 2018.”
Malling Bella is a vigorous, mid-season primocane fruiter, with large, easy-to-pick berries, that exhibits heavy yields and suitable for double cropping and long-cane production. It shows good adaptation to UK and southern European climates with very good fruit quality and shelf-life.
Malling Charm is an early primocane variety, with moderate vigour and short to medium height canes. It also has large, easy-to-pick berries and is a good potential premium variety because of its sweetness and juiciness.
Both varieties are currently available from the Consortium members WB Chambers and Onubafruit.
The East Malling Rubus Breeding Consortium is still expanding and actively looking for new members in Central/Northern Europe, the Americas and Africa to fulfil its global ambitions. For further information, contact NIAB EMR’s Felicidad Fernandez (firstname.lastname@example.org).
Source: NIAB EMR
Receive the daily newsletter in your email for free | Click here
Other news in this sector:
- 2022-11-30 "We strive to make raspberries an affordable fruit for more customers"
- 2022-11-29 Healthy seeds, and good germination with Plasma Activated Water seed treatment
- 2022-11-23 BGI-Sanya and KeyGene start collaboration on spatial transcriptomics
- 2022-11-17 Peas will grow again: New “Mendel greenhouse” opens in Brno
- 2022-11-08 IAEA and FAO send seeds into space
- 2022-11-01 Plenty of variety trials in Mexico and Canada: larger, more resistant varieties are the 'new standard'
- 2022-11-01 "The future of UK plant breeding needs more diversity, collaboration and big data"
- 2022-10-31 Precision Breeding Bill will supercharge investment in UK crop innovation
- 2022-10-25 European plant breeding academy announces outstanding student for class 6
- 2022-10-20 ToBRFV-resistant tomato varieties to be launched in Mexico
- 2022-10-14 Production started on new seedless watermelon
- 2022-10-14 The importance of digital phenotying in agriculture
- 2022-10-13 Irish tomato businesses might face delayed start to 2023 growing season
- 2022-10-07 Precision breeding: policymakers deliberate next steps in regulating new crop tool
- 2022-10-06 Night-time heat stress: “Research will pave the way for tolerant varieties that growers can use”
- 2022-10-03 Euroseeds replies to European Greens' report
- 2022-09-30 KeyGene early adopter of MGI sequencing
- 2022-09-30 Mega aeroponic greenhouse multiplies potato seeds in Rwanda
- 2022-09-30 Family behind James Bond franchise claims to have named ‘broccoli’
- 2022-09-29 Totam Seeds presents new tomato varieties