- Senior Grower UK
- Customer Support Executive
- Sales Representative Substrates Peru
- Head Grower – High Technology Organic Greenhouse
- Import and Export Sales Manager
- Sales Manager - US
- Key Account Manager (f/m/d) - Full-time
- Vice President of Growing Operations
- Account Manager - Canada
- Account Manager - United States
Tapping the economic and nutritional power of vegetables
Intensified vegetable production has the potential to generate more income and employment than other segments of the agricultural economy. Additionally, a strengthened focus on vegetables may be the most direct and most affordable way to deliver better nutrition for all. Today, however, neither the economic nor the nutritional power of vegetables is sufficiently realized.
The longstanding focus on staple food crops must be adjusted to take in a broader view. Governments and donors need to raise the priority given to increasing the productivity of vegetable production systems, reducing postharvest losses, and increasing affordability and market access.
With a growing understanding of the linkages between dietary quality and health, policymakers must also be prepared to support additional interventions to promote vegetable consumption. Vegetable consumption must therefore be nurtured through a combination of supply-side interventions and behavioral change communication emphasizing the importance of eating vegetables for good nutrition and health. To fully tap the economic and nutritional power of vegetables, governments and donors will need to give vegetables much greater priority than they currently receive.
Source: Food & Business Knowledge Platform
Receive the daily newsletter in your email for free | Click here
Other news in this sector:
- 2023-12-08 High temperatures, high production and labour costs, and variable prices
- 2023-12-08 UK: Defra called to publish impact assessment of farm policies to avoid “sleepwalking” into food crisis
- 2023-12-08 Israel faces tomato shortage: prices surge as imported vegetables dominate shelves
- 2023-12-08 New tomato exports leader of Central Asia is expected to double production
- 2023-12-08 Organic herb demand exceeds expectations this holiday season
- 2023-12-07 Drewry’s World Container Index stable at $1,382 per 40ft container this week
- 2023-12-07 Uncertainty of Spanish growing conditions leads to more retail interest for Israel’s capsicum
- 2023-12-07 IFA launches Christmas campaign featuring the best of Irish produce
- 2023-12-07 "We are transitioning from CEA 1.0 to CEA 2.0"
- 2023-12-07 Pleasing harvest balance for salads, slight decline for tubers and fruit vegetables
- 2023-12-07 "Delayed Moroccan season may result in shorter but more lucrative campaign"
- 2023-12-05 "Growers have been supplying the Christmas market for a long time and are very adept at dealing with the pressures"
- 2023-12-05 "Fluctuating prices for Spanish greenhouse vegetables, quality not an issue"
- 2023-12-05 EU-27 fruit and vegetable exports to Canada are growing
- 2023-12-05 US (CA): Dept. of Agriculture announces recipients of organic transition pilot program
- 2023-12-05 UK Border Target Operating Model to come into effect on EU exports on January 31