- Production Manager
- Assistant Professor - Controlled Environments Entomologist
- Technical Development Specialist | Horticulture | France
- Director of Business Development | Middle East | Agtech
- Farm/Production Manager; Berlin (m/w/d)
- Trader Asian Market
- Avocado Growing Manager - Kenya
- Operations Accountant
- Sales Manager for Nordic countries (H/F)
- Senior Breeder
Top 5 -yesterday
- Coal and pink tomatoes: the challenges for Polish growers
- Healthy seeds, and good germination with Plasma Activated Water seed treatment
- J. Huete International builds high-tech greenhouse for seed research in South America
- Tropicalia Greenhouse in Northern France blends perfectly with surroundings
- NZ: Return of the watermelon
Top 5 -last week
Top 5 -last month
- Zambia: "We produce 5,000 units of lettuce per week, per tunnel, year-round"
- UK growers stop planting and put nurseries on sale amidst energy crisis and labor shortage
- Passive solar greenhouses: How Ladakh farmers are harvesting crops in winter
- "High-tech farmer AppHarvest is running out of money"
- German family company switches from tomato cultivation to hydroponic lettuce
Jon Swain, GrowSave:
"Correctly design and operate your circulation fan system"
Circulation fans have been widely used in greenhouses for many years. A well designed fan installation will benefit the greenhouse climate by helping to maintain consistent temperature and humidity throughout the growing area.
The gentle movement of air over the leaf surface is also an aid both to transpiration and the distribution and uptake of CO2. Fans also contribute to a more pleasant working environment.
Air is heavy and difficult to get moving, so persistence of air movement rather than speed is the key to achieving a uniform greenhouse environment. It is more efficient to move large amounts of air at low speed and pressures, although by no means all fans are designed with this in mind and, many, will operate at high speed with little regard to operational costs.
Designing a suitable fan system that complements rather than conflicts with the heating and ventilation systems in a greenhouse requires considerable experience. In general the objective should be to install a system that is capable of circulating the entire air volume in the greenhouse between once and twice per hour.
Since January 2015, fans with an electrical input of between 125W and 500W are subject to the Energy related Products (ErP) directive which sets standards for efficiency.
Growers should ensure that any fan system being considered meets the ErP criteria. Fans should be fitted with variable speed motors which can be modulated automatically and thereby save energy.
To find out more about different types of fans available and their relative benefits and advantages visit the GrowSave website www.growsave.co.uk.
Receive the daily newsletter in your email for free | Click here
Other news in this sector:
- 2022-11-25 Sustainable energy use in horticulture - heating with biomass
- 2022-11-25 "If we continue like this, everyone will get their turn eventually"
- 2022-11-23 NL: Crisis update: Normal temperatures, abnormal gas prices
- 2022-11-21 "Most growers confuse energy saving with transparency"
- 2022-11-17 Full control of the amount of light in the greenhouse
- 2022-11-14 VB signs contract for installation geothermal heat project Maasdijk
- 2022-11-11 35% savings on electricity costs through LED grow light system
- 2022-11-08 Threat to greenhouse crops due to EU energy crisis
- 2022-11-08 Sealed greenhouses: worth the investment?
- 2022-11-07 Crisis update: TTF short-term gas price remains higher than seems logical
- 2022-11-04 UK: Energy bill relief scheme guidance for CHP
- 2022-11-04 NL: High gas price or additional The Hague policy? Which reduces greenhouse horticulture emissions the most?
- 2022-11-04 How to choose an energy-efficient HVAC system
- 2022-11-03 US (MA): Adams' Full Well Farm celebrates 'climate battery' greenhouse
- 2022-10-31 High energy prices are another test for the resilience of EU food producers
- 2022-10-24 "Need for deployment of batteries at large solar generators increasingly urgent"
- 2022-10-19 “In some situations, using artificial lights can be just too expensive”
- 2022-10-18 NL: How vertical farming compares to more established farming systems?
- 2022-10-18 "Closed water systems that reuse drain water help overcome sodium obstacles"
- 2022-10-13 Save time and energy with water-based pipepaint