- Head Grower – High Technology Organic Greenhouse
- Import and Export Sales Manager
- Sales Manager - US
- Grower | Cannabis
- Key Account Manager (f/m/d) - Full-time
- Vice President of Growing Operations
- Account Manager - Canada
- Account Manager - United States
- Procurement Manager Blueberries
- International Fruit Trader
Growing Media Association:
"Challenging year for growing media producers"
Growing Media manufacturers are also facing rising costs of supply at all stages. Production costs rise with labour costs, for example in Ireland costs are going up by 10.4% as the minimum wage increases are implemented.
Cost increases affecting all businesses
Plastic bags have been effected particularly by polymer (Platts) pricing rises, seeing record highs over the past 18 months and forecast to further increase during 2018. Environmental costs are on an upward trajectory with preparation for licencing under way in Ireland with new tougher targets on water quality.
Freight costs, which account for up to 30% of the cost of a bag of compost, are also rising. There is also ongoing uncertainty around Brexit, and weaker sterling is leaving a 22% difference between now and 2015 average Euro rate, and a 13% difference between current rate and the 10-year (0.80/1.25) Euro average.
Sheila Hill, General Manager of The Scotts Miracle-Gro Company, says, “We have experienced rising costs throughout our business and expect more significant increases in key raw materials for 2018 trading year. Specifically, raw materials such as peat and plastic packaging costs will increase by double digits. This is a significant challenge on top of the impact of currency we have absorbed this season.”
Steve Harper, chair of the Growing Media Association, adds, “Manufacturers are finding themselves under increasing pressure, during a period where costs have risen significantly and millions of pounds have been poured into developing new products and new diluents to reduce the demand for peat.”
For more information
Horticultural Trades Association
19 High Street
T: +44 (0)118 930 3132
Fax: +44 (0)118 932 3453
NGGV: +44 (0)118 930 2092
Receive the daily newsletter in your email for free | Click here
Other news in this sector:
- 2023-11-29 Oasis Grower Solutions introduces precision propagation media
- 2023-11-29 Agaris invests €1.5 million in next-generation wood fiber machine in France
- 2023-11-23 Germany is promoting peatland restoration as part of national climate strategy
- 2023-11-21 Botanicoir appoints new head of global sales
- 2023-11-16 "Growing in containers reduced our water usage drastically"
- 2023-11-10 "Expanding globally to answer the demand from the booming soft fruit industry"
- 2023-11-07 Facilitating a more consistent nitrogen release
- 2023-11-03 Model calculates mixtures with peat alternatives
- 2023-11-01 "Which growing media should I choose for my plants?"
- 2023-11-01 Using mats for growing microgreens and baby greens
- 2023-10-31 Key physical characteristics of growing media
- 2023-10-26 Singapore: Aquaponic grower settles on substrate to boost production
- 2023-10-13 Organic substrate slab ready for upscaling after successful testing
- 2023-09-29 "The growing medium contains chunk coir for structure and drainage"
- 2023-09-18 2023 Canadian harvest of horticultural peat moss as of August 31
- 2023-09-14 "Semi-substrate growing ensures rapid and uniform establishment immediately after planting"