- Head Grower Greenhouse Canada
- Post Entry Quarantine Facility Manager
- Economic Policy Officer Agri-Tech Kentucky
- Licensing Manager North America
- Junior Sales Executive
- Fruit Breeder/Trait Discovery Scientist
- General Manager
- Regional Sales Manager – DACH Region
- Country Manager – Italy
- Country Manager – Spain
Top 5 -yesterday
- Fresh produce chain hit by Lakeside Produce’s bankruptcy
- "Affordable organic foods can be produced from commercial aquaponic greenhouse farms"
- Can cucumbers save a cannabis company?
- "Adhesive tape offers a solution to a common problem in the industry"
- UK cucumber growers won't plant until late February or March
Top 5 -last week
- “Black growbags could benefit vegetable crops as well”
- Latvia: First greenhouse to grow cucumbers under LEDs uses landfill waste to produce energy
- "Moisture is the big danger in the next two months"
- US (OH): 80 Acres Farms makes layoffs as tech job crunch continues
- Is ozone effective against ToBRFV?
Top 5 -last month
- How farmers are cutting out supermarkets
- Higher light transmission and lower heat demand with double foil greenhouse
- 30MHz declared bankrupt, curator 'optimistic about restart'
- Combining vertical farming and greenhouse horticulture to decentralize lettuce production
- COFRA Holding and Mastronardi acquire AppHarvest's Berea greenhouse
US: NSF awards $1 million to Harvest CROO Robotics
"We are very excited and honored to be awarded the SBIR Phase I grant,” said Mark Brown, CFO of Harvest CROO Robotics. “Especially since only a small number of businesses that apply are funded."
The Harvest CROO Robotics team submitted a 20-page detailed proposal that included plans to develop a fully autonomous strawberry picking platform. Phase I begins December 15 and will continue through November 30. In that time, Harvest CROO Robotics will investigate and develop software and hardware tools to orchestrate a team of robotic subsystems. The goal is to meet the speed and cost requirements of a commercially viable robotic strawberry harvester.
“This generous grant helps us move the project forward,” said Gary Wishnatzki, co-founder of Harvest CROO Robotics and owner of Wish Farms. “Working, in the field, with the mobile platform this strawberry season will allow us to analyze results and develop improvements.”
Harvest CROO Robotics continues to develop and test the latest technology for agricultural robotics. The strawberry picker prototype was created three years ago as a potential solution to the industry’s lack of available labor to harvest strawberries. The prototype can – in an actual working strawberry field – identify, select and pick only ripe strawberries while leaving unripe strawberries and plants unharmed. The use of this technology will improve the quality of the berries picked, reduce energy usage, and increase strawberry yields by at least 10 percent. Using the prototype last season, the picking rate was eight seconds per plant. With further improvements this season, that rate is projected to be cut in half.
“The grant will allow us to hire additional qualified staff members,” said Brown. “This will help us to better solve one of the last remaining technical hurdles of bringing the harvester to market.”
For more information:
Harvest CROO Robotics
Receive the daily newsletter in your email for free | Click here
Other news in this sector:
- 2023-01-10 Retail Sleeve offers plastic-free alternative to pots
- 2022-11-17 Kenya to provide freighters for agri-exports
- 2022-11-14 Angus Soft Fruits now importing berries using reduced-plastic, cushioning punnet to improve quality and recyclability.
- 2022-11-11 "Process automation facilitates the reduction of production costs in citrus warehouses"
- 2022-11-11 "Elastic and non-elastic yarns with ecologically sustainable materials"
- 2022-10-26 'Reefer container rates expected to decrease at a significantly slower pace through 2023'
- 2022-09-22 New cling film is compostable with industrial versatility
- 2022-09-19 Snack tomato packaging wins 'Carton of the Year 2022' award
- 2022-09-13 "Products washed with peroxide have a longer shelf life"
- 2022-08-29 Strauss's leapfrogging in sustainable packaging by ROP for salads and leafy greens
- 2022-08-25 UK: Plant packaging manufacturer is exhibiting at the Four Oaks Trade show
- 2022-08-24 "No doubt robotic harvesters will be common in greenhouses very soon"
- 2022-08-18 Sustainable closure sealing and labelling of fruit and vegetable trays
- 2022-08-12 New application for disinfection of fresh-cut fruits by means ozone in the packaging
- 2022-07-07 New cold storage and research rooms put into operation at Proeftuin Randwijk
- 2022-07-07 Fruit that always has the best taste and bite thanks to All-in-One Spectral Cabinet
- 2022-06-30 50% more plants thanks to new strawberry cultivation system
- 2022-06-01 Proseal pioneers workable alternatives to plastic tray sealing
- 2022-05-27 European retailers called out for not going all-in on curtailing plastic pollution
- 2022-05-27 Is the economy threatening packaging sustainability?