- Sales Representative Substrates Peru
- Head Grower – High Technology Organic Greenhouse
- Import and Export Sales Manager
- Sales Manager - US
- Key Account Manager (f/m/d) - Full-time
- Vice President of Growing Operations
- Account Manager - Canada
- Account Manager - United States
- Procurement Manager Blueberries
- International Fruit Trader
Western Australia legalizes medical marijuana
Health Minister John Day said while he welcomed the changes, which opened the door for medicinal cannabis to be used as a treatment in certain circumstances, the changes did not legalise the recreational use of cannabis, which remained prohibited.
“Like all controlled drugs, medicinal cannabis will be prescription only, with strict rules around prescribing,” Mr Day said.
“Medical practitioners will be at the centre of all treatment decisions and patients will need to discuss their situation with their treating doctor.
“Only a pharmacist will be able to dispense medicinal cannabis, with supply from any other means remaining illegal in Western Australia.”
The Minister said processes were in place to ensure the appropriate use of medicinal cannabis as a treatment option.
“The focus for the Western Australian Government will be on the safety, efficacy and quality,” he said.
“It is important consumers remain protected from illegal, poorly made or harmful products.
“Products that could potentially be approved will be those in safe and accepted pharmaceutical formulations. Raw cannabis and the smoking of cannabis will not qualify as medicinal cannabis.”
Mr Day said any doctor wishing to prescribe medicinal cannabis would need approval from the Therapeutic Goods Administration and an expert advisory committee, to be established by the Department of Health.
While growers and manufacturers can apply for a licensing permit from November 1, 2016, medicinal cannabis products are not expected to be available for patient use until early 2017.
For more information:
Receive the daily newsletter in your email for free | Click here
Other news in this sector:
- 2023-08-28 China works to minimize flood impact, ensure vegetable supply
- 2022-08-24 Heart Research Institute looks at ways vegetables could treat strokes
- 2021-12-13 CAN: Companies seek approval for C-19 vaccine, using plants to express proteins needed
- 2020-04-10 Spain approves hiring 80,000 unemployed and immigrants to cover farm shortfall
- 2020-03-31 US (PA): Harrisburg University still running aquaponics lab, donating produce during virus outbreak
- 2019-04-01 HortiDaily starts MMJDaily.com
- 2019-03-25 Aphria shows automation in new video
- 2019-03-06 CEA Advisors forms new division focused on cannabis industry
- 2019-03-05 Denmark: Spectrum Cannabis ready for sale in autumn
- 2019-03-05 CA (BC): Cannabis grower gets permit for growing facility
- 2019-03-01 "I think the Netherlands can become the Champagne region of cannabis"
- 2019-02-27 Belgium takes first step towards legalization of medicinal cannabis cultivation
- 2019-02-25 Canada: 'World's largest indoor organic hemp CBD grower' setting up in Manitoba
- 2019-02-14 Sustainability and the cultivation of quality cannabis
- 2019-02-11 Canopy Growth to inject 30 million CDN in additional capital into Canopy Rivers
- 2019-02-08 US (CA): Cannabis Research Center to explore environmental, social impacts of legalization