The program has provided nearly $1.4 million to farmers since 2014. The list of previous awardees can be found here.
The New York State New Farmers Grant Fund will help farmers improve farm profitability through one or both of the following goals:
- Expanding agricultural production, diversifying agricultural production and/or extending the agricultural season;
- Advancing innovative agricultural techniques that increase sustainable practices such as organic farming, food safety, reduction of farm waste and/or water use.
Eligible Farmers/Farms (all criteria below must be met):
- A farm operation located wholly within New York State which produces an agricultural product as defined by the Guidelines;
- The farm operation must have a minimum of $10,000 in farm income from sales of products grown or raised on the applicant's farm operation as reflected in either personal or business 2015 tax returns;
- All owners must be New York State Residents of at least 18 years of age;
- As of April 1, 2016, all owners must be in the first ten years of having an ownership interest in any farm operation;
- All owners must materially and substantially participate in the day-to-day production of an agricultural product grown or raised on the farm operation.
Eligible costs include the purchase of new or used machinery and equipment, supplies, and/or construction or improvement of physical structures used exclusively for agricultural purposes.
Click here for more information.