- Growing Manager for Hydroponic strawberry producer
- Farm Manager Costa Rica
- Regional Sales Manager Fresh Produce
- Head Grower Strawberries, Norway
- Export Trade Manager
- Business Developer - Northern Europe
- Orchard Sector Manager
- International Citrus Account Manager
- Business Developer Water Storage - International technical horticulture
According to new study:
"Aquaponics outperforms hydroponics performance"
For this purpose, lettuce plants were put into AeroFlo installations and exposed to hydroponic (HP), aquaponic (AP), or complemented aquaponic (CAP) solutions. The principal finding of this research was that AP and HP treatments exhibited similar (p > 0.05) plant growth, whereas the shoot weight of the CAP treatment showed a significant (p < 0.05) growth rate increase of 39% on average compared to the HP and AP treatments.
Additionally, the root weight was similar (p > 0.05) in AP and CAP treatments, and both were significantly higher (p < 0.05) than that observed in the HP treatment. The results highlight the beneficial effect of recirculating aquaculture system (RAS) water on plant growth.
The findings represent a further step toward developing decoupled aquaponic systems (i.e., two- or multi-loops) that have the potential to establish a more productive alternative to hydroponic systems. Microorganisms and dissolved organic matter are suspected to play an important role in RAS water for promoting plant roots and shoots growth.
Read the full study at Water
Receive the daily newsletter in your email for free | Click here
Other news in this sector:
- 2023-09-22 'Collaboration succeeds in growing saline plants using saltwater sources'
- 2023-09-22 Climate change positive for tomato cultivation in Lebanon's high mountains
- 2023-09-22 "The cold winter weather in our area allows us to completely cut the cycle of the tomato virus"
- 2023-09-21 Chinese taikonauts harvest space vegetables aboard Tiangong space station
- 2023-09-21 Nitrogen and potassium key to nutrient uptake
- 2023-09-20 Low nitrate nutrition for new strawberry product
- 2023-09-20 US: USDA invests $200k in Oklahoma aquaponics program
- 2023-09-20 Photo report: Propagation professionals unite during knowledge exchange event
- 2023-09-19 Tunnel Farm: one of the few cases of underground 'indoor vertical farming' in the world
- 2023-09-18 CAN (AB): GoodLeaf's Calgary vertical farm in full production
- 2023-09-18 Enza Zaden's 19th Gemüsebau Feldtag focused on resistance
- 2023-09-18 Bringing Dutch greenhouses to southern Italy
- 2023-09-15 "I want to bring life back into horticulture"
- 2023-09-15 Growers maximize greenhouse efficiency with polycarbonate
- 2023-09-14 US (CA): Grant expands the SCOPE of organic ag education
- 2023-09-14 Positive outlook for California lettuce supply
- 2023-09-14 There will be smaller quantities of Italian strawberries this Christmas
- 2023-09-12 Problematic summer for Babyleaf in Italy and winter doesn't sound promising either
- 2023-09-11 "Too early to quantify earthquake damage"
- 2023-09-11 Jordan: Aquaponics farm project to increase water efficiency and create jobs