- Head Grower Strawberries, Australia
- Growing Manager for Hydroponic strawberry producer
- Farm Manager Costa Rica
- Regional Sales Manager Fresh Produce
- Head Grower Strawberries, Norway
- Export Trade Manager
- Business Developer - Northern Europe
- Orchard Sector Manager
- International Citrus Account Manager
Recovery of Romanian horticulture expected
Between 2000 and 2008 the sector recovered somewhat, only to be affected by the global crisis. After 2011, there was a modest growth of 2.5%.
Fruits and vegetables are often grown on very small businesses and deposited near or at local markets. Much of that trade is under the table, due to the high VAT (24%). Partly because of this, the supermarkets, which tend to settle in the cities, are having difficulties getting ample supply of good and safe vegetables. They now import about 60% of fruit and vegetables from Turkey, the Netherlands and Italy, among other countries. However, Romanian citizens are demanding more domestic produce.
Using producer groups, people are now setting up programs to ensure regular supply. There is also a growing emphasis on reducing VAT. This, together with growing demand for locally produced fresh food, brings new opportunities for Romanian agriculture. Undoubtedly there are also opportunities for Dutch companies.
Receive the daily newsletter in your email for free | Click here
Other news in this sector:
- 2023-09-27 Spanish zucchini exports decrease by 18%
- 2023-09-27 Digitalization of the Spanish agricultural sector
- 2023-09-27 Nigerian tomato growers aim for decentralized production
- 2023-09-27 "Shoppers may pay 50% more for tomatoes if the US puts duties on Mexican tomatoes"
- 2023-09-26 97% of Mexican berries go to the United States and Canada
- 2023-09-26 "Shift from tomatoes to other fruiting vegetables due to risk of ToBRFV"
- 2023-09-26 Fruit and vegetable exports Vietnam set for a record $5 billion this year
- 2023-09-26 Stable market ahead expected for Thai Chili peppers
- 2023-09-26 Production dip prompts price hike for loose tomatoes
- 2023-09-26 Azura Group and Foundation donating €1.5m to Moroccan earthquake relief fund
- 2023-09-25 NASA’s record-breaking astronaut: scientific highlights of Frank Rubio’s year in space
- 2023-09-25 Government in Morocco approves 5% minimum wage increase
- 2023-09-25 Australians are still throwing away too many vegetables
- 2023-09-25 Satisfactory market for Sicilian organic tomatoes in Germany
- 2023-09-25 Microgreens are increasingly popular
- 2023-09-22 What is biofortification?
- 2023-09-22 Seeds shortage delays the Moroccan pepper season
- 2023-09-22 Trinidad and Tobago will face sweet pepper shortage, with prices going up
- 2023-09-22 Raspberry grower predicts biggest season yet out of Central Mexico
- 2023-09-22 Glastuinbouw Nederland after Prinsjesdag Budget: New measures mark the end for many growers