- Crop Farm Manager Sharjah
- Commercial Manager Soft Fruits
- Assistant Nursery Manager - Tasmania, Australia
- Tissue Culture Lab / Operations Manager - Victoria, Australia
- Irrigation Manager - Tasmania or Victoria
- Chief Executive Officer Hortifrut IG Berries
- Head of Operations - Dubai, United Arab Emirates
- Greenhouse grower / production manager - Brazil
- Experienced International Trade Specialist
- Packaging Supervisor
Top 5 -yesterday
Top 5 -last week
Top 5 -last month
North America: Giumarra Borquez uses fair trade funds to build dental, optometry centres for community
The two new facilities were built adjacent to the existing employee health care centre. Farm worker community development funds from Giumarra Borquez’s participation in the Fair Trade program were used to build the new centres, and will also be used to operate it.
“We view the care of our coworkers, their families, and our neighbouring communities with utmost importance. Our community involvement is as vital to us as providing high quality products to our customers,” says Pablo Borquez Almada, president of Campos Borquez.
The partnership between Giumarra and Campos Borquez is a vertically-integrated operation that grows, packs, and distributes asparagus to the North American market. The asparagus is packed under the Nature’s Partner label, and may also be marketed as Fair Trade Certified.
“As our partnership continues to grow, we are thrilled to be a part of the achievements of Pablo Borquez and his family, including becoming the first asparagus grower in the world to be certified by Fair Trade USA in 2012,” says Bruce Dowhan, vice president and general manager of Giumarra Borquez. “Pablo has been working to better his community since the early 1990s, and we expect to see more employee-voted improvements with the continued growth of the Fair Trade program.”
Giumarra Borquez will begin shipping its fall asparagus crop in October and expects a substantial increase in volume this year, with ample supplies to support promotions for Fair Trade, as well as the upcoming holidays.
To learn more about Pablo Borquez Almada’s story and Giumarra Borquez, please view the video here: https://vimeo.com/105895333
For more information:
The Giumarra Companies
T: +1 213.627.2900
Receive the daily newsletter in your email for free | Click here
Other news in this sector:
- 2022-06-29 "Manual slicing is our strong point, maybe we don't communicate that enough yet"
- 2022-06-29 Greenhouse opening helps Highfield Farm further develop industrial land into urban farm
- 2022-06-29 "The new blackberry varieties that are coming allow us to look to the future with optimism"
- 2022-06-29 Shelf life extension solution adds 18 new crops
- 2022-06-29 MultiGrow Grashoek & MultiFresa get complete food processing line
- 2022-06-29 Approximately 13,000 sq.ft. vertical farm under construction at mall in Istanbul
- 2022-06-28 'Local presence has further strengthened customer relations'
- 2022-06-28 Dispute between horti suppliers ends with no patent infringement
- 2022-06-28 Solar greenhouse idea wins Schneider Go Green student competition
- 2022-06-28 1st price for the pesticide-residue free tomatoes in the national level of European Business Awards for the Environment
- 2022-06-28 China: "We hope that fresh-flower preservation cards will replace ice bottles and make life easier for fresh-flower distributors"
- 2022-06-28 Container farm allows growers to cultivate 14 different gourmet mushrooms
- 2022-06-28 Produce vegetables with carbon dioxide
- 2022-06-27 US (CA): Grower takes over Piru-based nursery
- 2022-06-27 HT Verboom Transport Systems joins GreenV
- 2022-06-27 Codema's staff welcomed by other horticultural companies
- 2022-06-27 Online retailer Gorillas launches private label range
- 2022-06-27 Despite the climate of uncertainty, the herbs segment is standing its ground
- 2022-06-27 Stronger supplies of California organic basil in 2022
- 2022-06-27 Driscoll's agrees to terms for acquisition of Berry Gardens