Gaasboxx façade drain prevents flooding in and around greenhouses

Gaasboxx system of JES Product Development can be used to increase the soil's water retention capacity. Gaasboxxes are plastic blocks surrounded by a water-permeable filter cloth. These are placed in the ground, creating a sort of hollow space, in which rainwater can be collected and redirected into a ditch or stored underground until it can be pumped.

The honeycomb structure of the Gaasboxx ensures that 95% of the volume is free for water collection and infiltration. The water runs into the ditch.

Because greenhouse structures are becoming higher and higher, increasing the volume of rainfall against the greenhouse roof and walls. The Gaasboxx compensates by significantly increasing the soil's water retention capacity.

Underground water storage
The Gaasboxx system is the result of civil engineering and became known in horticulture as underground water storage. The 'boxxes' consist of a honeycomb structure: strong plastic PP takes up 5% of the product, the remaining 95% being freely available for water. A box is 0.90 x 0.45 x 0.30 cm (different widths are possible). "Gravel will only allow you about thirty per cent free space," says Nico de Jong of JES Product Development. "Moreover, gravel is a lot heavier and clutters up." In the Gaasboxxes, this is prevented with the filter cloth. The water can pass through, but soil, dust and other rubble cannot.

"No more trouble with rainfall"
The Gaasboxxes are now helping out many growers. "With new greenhouses, space is created for the water. In existing greenhouses you routinely figure out where the bottlenecks are," says De Jong. 

The end of the drain.

For more information:
JES Product Development
Maasdijk 176
2676 LC Maasdijk
The Netherlands
GSM: +31(0)6 24 87 00 44+31(0)6 24 87 00 44
You'll need Skype CreditFree via Skype

Publication date:

Receive the daily newsletter in your email for free | Click here

Other news in this sector:

Sign up for our daily Newsletter and stay up to date with all the latest news!

Subscribe I am already a subscriber

You are using software which is blocking our advertisements (adblocker).

As we provide the news for free, we are relying on revenues from our banners. So please disable your adblocker and reload the page to continue using this site.

Click here for a guide on disabling your adblocker.