Top 5 -yesterday
- "We can now capture the whole value chain, from young plants to the consumer"
- Dutch Berries: 20 hectares of high-tech strawberry cultivation
- How to shift from optimal growth with LEDs to optimal energy usage
- Adjusting irrigation water: bicarbonates vs. pH
- Carbon footprint of importing food could be 7.5x higher than thought
Top 5 -last month
US (NJ): Arthur and Friends to open new greenhouse using American Hydroponics' NFT System
This new greenhouse is a 30’x60’ Rimol Matterhorn outfitted with an American Hydroponics Nutrient Film Technique (NFT) system. In just 3,000 square feet of space they will be able to grow the equivalent of seven acres of traditional dirt farming, using only 10% of the water. “Our combined missions, the quality of AmHydro’s system, and the quality of the training programs, is making the job of cultivating a better planet more successful,” said National Program Director Wendie Blanchard.
In sourcing equipment for this new greenhouse, Wendie had to look no further than her current operations. “We have worked with many different hydroponics systems, and none of them hold up to the quality and craftsmanship of American Hydroponics.” Blanchard remarks. “Once I accidentally drove over a dozen of the channels with my car and none of them were damaged. The materials and the support they provide, make what we are doing so much easier.”
Using American Hydroponics NFT growing system, this new facility in Andover, NJ will employ 5 people year-round. They will be growing and harvesting enough food to not only supply Perona Farms catering efforts, but they will also be able to donate produce to other local non-profits and food banks. Blanchard comments, “The healthiest food should not be available just to the wealthiest people.”
Blanchard goes on to say, “Growing is a catalyst, hydroponics is the method, but we are actually growing people who previously were living in the shadows and isolated. There is a sense of dignity from earning a paycheck, a sense of pride from growing beautiful produce that people say “Wow!” and empowerment from the fact that they own a body of knowledge that the general public doesn’t hold.”
Founder & President Michael Christian agrees, “One of the core tenets of AmHydro is our commitment to education. Arthur and Friends uses our systems for so much more than food. Individuals are empowered with knowledge that the general public doesn’t have. In any other setting these people would be overlooked by society, here they are able to show off their knowledge of biology, chemistry, and agriculture. This is power of education, and hydroponics is the catalyst.”
For more information
Scott Kornberg, Chief Technology Officer
286 South G Street
Arcata, Calif. 95521
T: 800-458-6543 X 317
T: 707-633-4376 ext.317 office
Receive the daily newsletter in your email for free | Click here
Other news in this sector:
- 2022-08-10 "We consider every aspect of bell pepper cultivation to keep moving toward energy-neutral farming"
- 2022-08-10 Nova Siri Genetics research for strawberry cultivation
- 2022-08-10 Call for research needs in aquaponics
- 2022-08-10 Greenhouse grower purchases 75-acre greenhouse in Jalisco, Mexico
- 2022-08-10 "One thing's sure: there will be less lit cultivation next season"
- 2022-08-10 PT: Biobest steps up presence in Portugal with acquisition of Agronologica, changes name to Biobest Portugal
- 2022-08-10 4 case studies on monitoring and optimizing irrigation
- 2022-08-10 US (CA): Rotational fungicide approved for sale in CA
- 2022-08-10 New type of strawberry harvester introduced to the market
- 2022-08-10 Shouguang, Shandong: the capital of vegetables in China
- 2022-08-10 “Developing varieties with resistances takes time but it’s an important role we play as plant breeders”
- 2022-08-10 Western Growers mourns the passing of Hank Giclas
- 2022-08-10 India: Yara Growth invests $50M in ag-fintech company
- 2022-08-10 All Florida pesticide exams now available online
- 2022-08-09 US (ID): Syngenta debuts $15 million global vegetable seeds quality control lab
- 2022-08-09 Cualin Quality signs an agreement with Rijk Zwaan to produce Reddery RZ cherry tomatoes at its high-tech facilities
- 2022-08-09 UK: £15,000 vouchers available for horticultural, food and drink research
- 2022-08-09 Acquiring contracting companies results in Veldhoven Loonwerk
- 2022-08-09 Bowery and Arkansas Agricultural Experiment Station to develop disease-resistant spinach
- 2022-08-09 "We can now capture the whole value chain, from young plants to the consumer"