- Senior Grower UK
- Customer Support Executive
- Sales Representative Substrates Peru
- Head Grower – High Technology Organic Greenhouse
- Import and Export Sales Manager
- Sales Manager - US
- Key Account Manager (f/m/d) - Full-time
- Vice President of Growing Operations
- Account Manager - Canada
- Account Manager - United States
Canada: Affinor Growers closes technology license with Vertical Designs Ltd. to enter the billion dollar strawberry market
This patent-pending technology was designed to mass produce high quality strawberries grown indoors without the use of harmful chemicals or pesticides and Affinor Growers plans to meet the global demand for strawberries with a non-GMO, healthy alternative produced with VDL technology.
VDL systems uses enhanced farming methods, which have been designed to help solve global food security and shortage issues. The automated, software-driven technology is unique for it's mechanical pollination, zero water waste and ability to grow grade A1 strawberries year-round regardless of seasonality.
According to the Agriculture Marketing Resource Center (agmrc.org) "The strawberry market is valued in the multiple-billions and surpassed the fresh apple industry for the first time in 2010".
Current methods of growing strawberries use incredible amounts of chemicals and pesticides and rely on fossil fuels for shipping and distribution. Pesticide Action Network analysis of pesticide residues using USDA data found 54 different pesticide residues were detected among strawberry samples. The testing turned up nine known or probable carcinogens, 24 suspected hormone disruptors, 11 neurotoxins, 12 developmental or reproductive toxins, and 19 honeybee toxins. Traces of fungicides captan and pyraclostrobin turned up on more than half of strawberry samples tested.
Spoilage is also a major cost factor so Affinor Growers plans to build facilities near urban centres which can radically lower shipping costs and dramatically reduce spoilage which will extend the shelf life of crops produced.
Vertical Designs Technology can produce 10 to 15 times the yield per square foot than land-based growing and minimizes the environmental impact in terms of water use, land, and power.
"I sampled a 53 gram fully vine-ripened strawberry produced by Affinor, and it was better than any other strawberry I have ever tasted, including our local summer berries." - Rick Easthom, former Manager of Retail Development for Choices Food Markets"
Under the terms, Affinor is issuing 666,666 common shares of the Corporation at a deemed price of 75 cents per share to VDL and will pay a 5-per-cent net royalty on the net sales of production.
Sebastien Plouffe, President & CEO, comments: "This is a huge deal for Affinor as it will allow us to build our first strawberry facility immediately using VDL's proven technology".
For more information
Affinor Growers Inc.
President & CEO
T: (514) 947-2272
Vertical Designs Ltd
Nick Brusatore, CEO
T: (604) 356-0411
Receive the daily newsletter in your email for free | Click here
Other news in this sector:
- 2023-12-07 Agrospheres compelets expansion of $25M series B round
- 2023-12-07 Norway: New vertical farm to supply retailer with 110 tons of leafy greens yearly
- 2023-12-07 Jiashan Sino-Dutch Horticulture Innovation Center opened during the horticultural trade mission to China
- 2023-12-06 "60 percent of our production is sold via the Munich wholesale market"
- 2023-12-06 WPK getting acquired by three owners
- 2023-12-06 Construction of new Multivac production factory starts
- 2023-12-06 AdeptAg partners with Hoogendoorn
- 2023-12-06 Syngenta joins the Phytobiomes Alliance
- 2023-12-05 Jong Fruit celebrates 15th anniversary
- 2023-12-05 Glasmij celebrates 100 years of activity
- 2023-12-05 Astanor Ventures welcomes Thomas Nagy as Operational Partner
- 2023-12-05 New partnership to explore cultivation of proteins, novel food, and medicine
- 2023-12-04 "We must decide if we want an 'outsourcing' model in Morocco or to maintain a productive self-sufficiency"
- 2023-12-04 GreenV invests in Mexican market with GreenV Mexico
- 2023-12-01 Kurt Dramm inducted into The Green Industry Hall of Fame
- 2023-12-01 Jordan Minister checks on hydroponic project in Mujib district