- Senior Grower UK
- Customer Support Executive
- Sales Representative Substrates Peru
- Head Grower – High Technology Organic Greenhouse
- Import and Export Sales Manager
- Sales Manager - US
- Key Account Manager (f/m/d) - Full-time
- Vice President of Growing Operations
- Account Manager - Canada
- Account Manager - United States
BrightFarms signs lease for greenhouse site in Washington, DC
The lease signing follows an announcement in 2013 of the partnership between BrightFarms and the District of Columbia’s Department of General Services. BrightFarms plans to soon begin construction of a 100,000 square foot hydroponic greenhouse, which will be located in Washington DC’s Ward 8.
Earlier this year BrightFarms entered into an agreement with the grocer Giant Food who will be the exclusive retailer in the nation’s capital region of BrightFarms’ year round local produce. Under that agreement, BrightFarms is responsible for financing, building and operating the greenhouse while Giant Food distributes the produce to its stores. The two companies will also work together to distribute produce from the greenhouse to local community organizations that can supply residents who otherwise lack access to fresh produce.
By growing locally, BrightFarms delivers produce that is thousands of miles fresher, more flavourful, and better for the community. The farm also creates 20 full-time, green-collar jobs, facilitates over 100 construction jobs, and prevents storm water from going into local waterways.
The greenhouse will be designed and built in partnership with the City’s Department of General Services and the Anacostia Economic Development Corporation in support of the Mayor’s Sustainable D.C. Plan, which aims to make DC the greenest, healthiest and most liveable city in the nation.
“This greenhouse will be the world’s highest grossing urban farm,” said BrightFarms CEO Paul Lightfoot, “and it will also have one of the greatest positive social impacts.” DGS Director Brian J. Hanlon, remarked, “This is a great example of leveraging the District’s assets to make the most of our real estate portfolio in a dynamic way that produces results which reverberate across the city.”
For more information
Director of Business Development
T: +1 646-480-5265
Receive the daily newsletter in your email for free | Click here
Other news in this sector:
- 2023-12-07 Agrospheres compelets expansion of $25M series B round
- 2023-12-07 Norway: New vertical farm to supply retailer with 110 tons of leafy greens yearly
- 2023-12-07 Jiashan Sino-Dutch Horticulture Innovation Center opened during the horticultural trade mission to China
- 2023-12-06 "60 percent of our production is sold via the Munich wholesale market"
- 2023-12-06 WPK getting acquired by three owners
- 2023-12-06 Construction of new Multivac production factory starts
- 2023-12-06 AdeptAg partners with Hoogendoorn
- 2023-12-06 Syngenta joins the Phytobiomes Alliance
- 2023-12-05 Jong Fruit celebrates 15th anniversary
- 2023-12-05 Glasmij celebrates 100 years of activity
- 2023-12-05 Astanor Ventures welcomes Thomas Nagy as Operational Partner
- 2023-12-05 New partnership to explore cultivation of proteins, novel food, and medicine
- 2023-12-04 "We must decide if we want an 'outsourcing' model in Morocco or to maintain a productive self-sufficiency"
- 2023-12-04 GreenV invests in Mexican market with GreenV Mexico
- 2023-12-01 Kurt Dramm inducted into The Green Industry Hall of Fame
- 2023-12-01 Jordan Minister checks on hydroponic project in Mujib district