- Senior Grower UK
- Customer Support Executive
- Sales Representative Substrates Peru
- Head Grower – High Technology Organic Greenhouse
- Import and Export Sales Manager
- Sales Manager - US
- Key Account Manager (f/m/d) - Full-time
- Vice President of Growing Operations
- Account Manager - Canada
- Account Manager - United States
Benny Cuypers, LAVA:
"Improved pepper and aubergine prices can be maintained"
"The prices on the market are correct this season," says Benny Cuypers of LAVA when asked about the situation in the courgette market. The production was high this spring due to the weather, and there was also lots of supply from Spain. "The Spanish supply has now decreased greatly, but the open ground courgettes have started slowly." The price decreased from 30 to 40 cents to 15 to 20 cents after a few weeks.
Aubergines are going through a pretty good week. At around 1.30 Euro the price was a lot higher than in recent weeks, when it was around one Euro. "Some demand from Russia and Spain has dropped out," explains Cuypers. "It looks good for the next few days and weeks." The area of aubergines is comparable to previous years. "Slightly more, but not a huge difference. More important than the area is the production. A less productive year can make a difference of around 10% just like that."
"Pepper has also been doing better over the last few weeks. It had a very difficult start with reasonably large volumes in April when Spain and Israel were on the market too," says Cuypers. "When this supply stopped, around the beginning of May it started to get going." This revival was for all colours. "Green is now dropping in prices, and was around 1.30 on Wednesday. It has dropped from 1.70." Yellow and red are around 1.60. "These are correct prices." There has been a lot of production over the last few weeks. "We are now in a calmer period, especially for the red and yellow colours. I except us to be able to keep a hold of this," concludes Cuypers.
For more information:
Leuvensesteenweg 130 A
tel +32 (0)15 50 42 50
fax +32 (0)15 50 42 60
Author: Arlette Sijmonsma en Gertrude Snoei
Receive the daily newsletter in your email for free | Click here
Other news in this sector:
- 2023-12-07 Drewry’s World Container Index stable at $1,382 per 40ft container this week
- 2023-12-07 Uncertainty of Spanish growing conditions leads to more retail interest for Israel’s capsicum
- 2023-12-07 IFA launches Christmas campaign featuring the best of Irish produce
- 2023-12-07 "We are transitioning from CEA 1.0 to CEA 2.0"
- 2023-12-07 Pleasing harvest balance for salads, slight decline for tubers and fruit vegetables
- 2023-12-07 "Delayed Moroccan season may result in shorter but more lucrative campaign"
- 2023-12-05 "Growers have been supplying the Christmas market for a long time and are very adept at dealing with the pressures"
- 2023-12-05 "Fluctuating prices for Spanish greenhouse vegetables, quality not an issue"
- 2023-12-05 EU-27 fruit and vegetable exports to Canada are growing
- 2023-12-05 US (CA): Dept. of Agriculture announces recipients of organic transition pilot program
- 2023-12-05 UK Border Target Operating Model to come into effect on EU exports on January 31
- 2023-12-05 COP28: New AIIB-FAO partnership to boost rural infrastructure development to transform agrifood systems
- 2023-12-05 UK: ePhyto trial announced by Defra for Dutch plant & plant products imports
- 2023-12-05 Philippines: Experts encourage urban farming
- 2023-12-04 Spain: Andalusian greenhouse crops, on the verge of full production
- 2023-12-04 "The challenge lies not in marketing our products, but in maintaining production"