- Import and Export Sales Manager
- Sales Manager - US
- Grower | Cannabis
- Key Account Manager (f/m/d) - Full-time
- Vice President of Growing Operations
- Account Manager - Canada
- Account Manager - United States
- Procurement Manager Blueberries
- International Fruit Trader
- Sales Manager (Europe Division)
US (DE): University program to develop heat-tolerant lima bean varieties
“Lima beans are Delaware’s largest acreage vegetable crop and anchor the state’s processing vegetable industry,” said Ernest. “The varieties that are currently available to growers suffer yield loss or delayed yield when they are exposed to high temperatures during flowering.”
With her funding, Ernest aims to develop procedures for heat tolerance screening in the existing lima bean breeding program, examine the physiological mechanisms for heat stress tolerance or susceptibility in lima beans, and investigate the underlying genetic basis for heat stress tolerance in lima beans. Her findings could greatly impact Delaware vegetable farmers’ yields.
Her research with lima beans will be over the course of the next three years and take place on UD’s research farm in Georgetown.
Ernest said that in the genetics portion of the project, which will be built off of work funded by the Building a Better Bean SCRI Grant awarded to UD researchers last year, she will be working closely with colleague Randy Wisser, assistant professor of plant and soil sciences, and Gordon Johnson, extension vegetable and fruit specialist.
Receive the daily newsletter in your email for free | Click here
Other news in this sector:
- 2023-11-27 "Challenging weather conditions for lamb's lettuce sowing"
- 2023-11-27 “Berries are booming in Canada”
- 2023-11-27 "Intensive greenhouse horticulture and extensive organic horticulture are a perfect match"
- 2023-11-27 Webinar: 4 common grower problems solved with digital agronomy
- 2023-11-24 "Showcasing how to grow food in harshest conditions"
- 2023-11-24 Benin: Climate-resilient vegetable varieties thrive in local conditions
- 2023-11-23 A plea for government support in Russian vegetable seed production
- 2023-11-22 Strategies for maximizing your greenhouse efficiency in winter
- 2023-11-22 US (NY): Governor Hochul inaugurates new indoor food production system in East Buffalo
- 2023-11-22 Crop consultants visit Senegal: 'Much development expected in agriculture'
- 2023-11-22 Raspberry demand benefits from shorter category supplies
- 2023-11-21 Weathering El Niño with new berry varieties
- 2023-11-21 Smooth progression of strawberry production in Larache
- 2023-11-21 "Nearly 70% of the tomato production in the Region of Murcia was lost because of ToBRFV and heat"
- 2023-11-21 Henan has a thriving shiitake mushroom production
- 2023-11-21 Growing strawberries year-round with minimal energy input