- Sales Representative Substrates Peru
- Head Grower – High Technology Organic Greenhouse
- Import and Export Sales Manager
- Sales Manager - US
- Key Account Manager (f/m/d) - Full-time
- Vice President of Growing Operations
- Account Manager - Canada
- Account Manager - United States
- Procurement Manager Blueberries
- International Fruit Trader
Mexico: Highlights at Enza Zaden's AgroExpoAlimentaria demohouse
Enza Zaden brought some of their best-selling varieties, nicely set in a demo greenhouse. The demo greenhouse was a combination of medium and high tech; the crops where both growing in the soil and also a hydroponic substrate was used. "Our top selling varieties in Mexico consist cucumbers, tomatoes, and peppers" said Tovar who was responsible for the vital crops in the greenhouse. "Each year we do our best to showcase the crops at their most best stage, and despite the very bad weather we had this year with the hurricanes and lots of dark rainy weather, we managed to grow a very strong crop.
“We sow and transplant early to show our growers mature plants”, said Tovar when showing off the yellow pepper Di Caprio. The peppers where transplanted on June 4, and the first fruit where picked two months later on August 3. DiCaprio looked very strong, just like the orange variety Ucumara and their well known red pepper Viper. “Viper is popular amongst Mexican growers, but we need still innovate and breed new varieties to give our growers other options that better fit their strategy. Because red is a large item in Mexican greenhouses we also showcase other red pepper varieties like Healey, Maduro and Triple 5.
Next to the peppers, also cocktail, grapes, beef types tomatoes, and roma types where showcased in the demo greenhouse. The tomatoes were transplanted on the second of August, and first fruit was picked in the first week of October. "Enza Zaden is the seed breeder behind one of the worlds most popular tomato, Campari, but there is more than this", said Tovar when showcasing some other cocktail tomatoes. Next to the Forenza beef tomato and the Garincha grape tomato, other varieties that caught the eye were Adorration, Anuluka and Anamay; really impressive cocktail varieties that are suitable for the Mexican climate.
Besides tomato and peppers, also a nice range of cucumbers including the small varieties, American, and European could be evaluated.
For more information:
Enza Zaden Mexico
Receive the daily newsletter in your email for free | Click here
Other news in this sector:
- 2023-11-22 Crop Trust and Plant Treaty pledging more than $100,000 to safeguard genebanks in Laos and Sudan
- 2023-11-22 Cora Seeds releases ToBRFV-resistant tomatoes
- 2023-11-22 Genetic insights into plant defense and growth trade-offs
- 2023-11-17 USDA proposes changes in approval process of genetically engineered crops
- 2023-11-15 Plant breeders and researchers collaborate for the next generation of legumes to reduce the protein gap in Europe
- 2023-11-13 AU: Breeder secures land to further breeding operations
- 2023-11-09 Turnover of Rijk Zwaan up to 593 million euros
- 2023-11-07 "We believe that such stacked resistance will stand up to new ToBRFV-mutations"
- 2023-11-06 Breeders welcome the adoption of the new Explanatory Notes on Essentially Derived Varieties by the UPOV Council
- 2023-11-06 US (NY): New plot-labeling program supports plant breeders in Global South
- 2023-11-03 US (WI): Julie Dawson honored for crop breeding work for organic systems
- 2023-11-03 "A box filler with excellent disease resistance"
- 2023-10-31 The evolution of plant variety protection in the era of new breeding techniques
- 2023-10-27 Ghana gene bank becomes the 100th depositor to Svalbard Global Seed Vault
- 2023-10-24 Two new ToLCNDV-resistant squash varieties introduced
- 2023-10-24 Commissioner Stella Kyriakides endorses new genomic techniques and plant reproductive material