- Production Director Phalaenopsis - Taiwan
- Flower Grower - Canada
- Trader - Buyer Zachtfruit en Exoten
- (Junior) Account Manager France
- Installation Support Engineer (Supervisor)
- Teeltspecialisten Engeland
- Commercial Support Coordinator (32-40 hours)
- Sr Construction Project Manager
- China country manager
- Commercial Key Account Manager
Top 5 -yesterday
Top 5 -last week
Top 5 -last month
- UK strawberry grower uses UV-light robot to keep powdery mildew at bay
- Gotham Greens raises $310M to accelerate national greenhouse expansion
- Drones fly through tomato rows in International Greenhouse Challenge
- Nigerian grower builds greenhouse from scratch
- Why Australia's biggest glasshouse grower is expanding its cultivation
UK: Yield Control System for Eric Wall Nurseries
The accurate, manual packing of tomatoes presents a number of significant challenges, especially varieties that are packed on the vine. Marco’s YCM system has significantly improved productivity in the Sussex packhouse. To simplify the packing process, a simple light array on the LineMaster weighing scale shows the operator when the target weight is reached for each pack, without them having to consider the actual weight value.
The YCM automatic optimization (AO) software constantly monitors pack weight trends and makes necessary target weight adjustments in the background. Direct customer benefits include virtual elimination of costly giveaway/overpack, minimized waste and optimized labour resource.
For this installation, Eric Wall Nurseries have also invested in a Marco ECM off-line ‘e’ weighing station to ensure pack weights consistently meet EU regulations. The ECM software can be set for specific sample sizes and frequencies relating to the number of packs, which need to be manually checked by QA operators. Results are presented in an easy-to-understand format and in addition to providing essential compliance data, the system can be configured to provide unambiguous prompts that allow management to fine tune packing line parameters.
Managing Director Chris Wall is delighted with the results achieved so far: “We are passionate about the tomatoes we grow. There are five main varieties and we are seeing an increased demand for pre-packed product on the vine. The Marco system has brought significant improvements to our packhouse productivity and giveaway has been reduced. This is particularly important with the larger tomato varieties where giveaway can be significant if accurate controls are not implemented. Operator training is now very simple and we can monitor the performance of individual packers. In parallel the ‘e’ weighing system simplifies and reduces our statutory QA requirements. Overall this gives us increased packhouse visibility and control, which is vital in today’s highly competitive fresh produce market place.”
Receive the daily newsletter in your email for free | Click here
Other news in this sector:
- 2022-09-22 New cling film is compostable with industrial versatility
- 2022-09-19 Snack tomato packaging wins 'Carton of the Year 2022' award
- 2022-09-13 "Products washed with peroxide have a longer shelf life"
- 2022-08-29 Strauss's leapfrogging in sustainable packaging by ROP for salads and leafy greens
- 2022-08-25 UK: Plant packaging manufacturer is exhibiting at the Four Oaks Trade show
- 2022-08-24 "No doubt robotic harvesters will be common in greenhouses very soon"
- 2022-08-18 Sustainable closure sealing and labelling of fruit and vegetable trays
- 2022-08-12 New application for disinfection of fresh-cut fruits by means ozone in the packaging
- 2022-07-07 New cold storage and research rooms put into operation at Proeftuin Randwijk
- 2022-07-07 Fruit that always has the best taste and bite thanks to All-in-One Spectral Cabinet
- 2022-06-30 50% more plants thanks to new strawberry cultivation system
- 2022-06-01 Proseal pioneers workable alternatives to plastic tray sealing
- 2022-05-27 European retailers called out for not going all-in on curtailing plastic pollution
- 2022-05-27 Is the economy threatening packaging sustainability?
- 2022-05-11 Drivers: the unsung heroes of the horticultural industry
- 2022-05-03 Canadian grower backs five-year plastics research project
- 2022-04-25 US (GA): Horticultural container manufacturer to invest $44 million in Toombs County
- 2022-04-06 Beekenkamp introduces new transport boxes for better automatic processing
- 2022-04-04 "Display enables nice placement of herbs and optimal brand presentation"
- 2022-03-30 Fast and flexible closing machine for cardboard trays with flaps