- Sales Representative Substrates Peru
- Head Grower – High Technology Organic Greenhouse
- Import and Export Sales Manager
- Sales Manager - US
- Key Account Manager (f/m/d) - Full-time
- Vice President of Growing Operations
- Account Manager - Canada
- Account Manager - United States
- Procurement Manager Blueberries
- International Fruit Trader
UK: Yield Control System for Eric Wall Nurseries
The accurate, manual packing of tomatoes presents a number of significant challenges, especially varieties that are packed on the vine. Marco’s YCM system has significantly improved productivity in the Sussex packhouse. To simplify the packing process, a simple light array on the LineMaster weighing scale shows the operator when the target weight is reached for each pack, without them having to consider the actual weight value.
The YCM automatic optimization (AO) software constantly monitors pack weight trends and makes necessary target weight adjustments in the background. Direct customer benefits include virtual elimination of costly giveaway/overpack, minimized waste and optimized labour resource.
For this installation, Eric Wall Nurseries have also invested in a Marco ECM off-line ‘e’ weighing station to ensure pack weights consistently meet EU regulations. The ECM software can be set for specific sample sizes and frequencies relating to the number of packs, which need to be manually checked by QA operators. Results are presented in an easy-to-understand format and in addition to providing essential compliance data, the system can be configured to provide unambiguous prompts that allow management to fine tune packing line parameters.
Managing Director Chris Wall is delighted with the results achieved so far: “We are passionate about the tomatoes we grow. There are five main varieties and we are seeing an increased demand for pre-packed product on the vine. The Marco system has brought significant improvements to our packhouse productivity and giveaway has been reduced. This is particularly important with the larger tomato varieties where giveaway can be significant if accurate controls are not implemented. Operator training is now very simple and we can monitor the performance of individual packers. In parallel the ‘e’ weighing system simplifies and reduces our statutory QA requirements. Overall this gives us increased packhouse visibility and control, which is vital in today’s highly competitive fresh produce market place.”
Receive the daily newsletter in your email for free | Click here
Other news in this sector:
- 2023-11-28 New cling film technology provides certified recyclable alternative to PVC films
- 2023-11-27 Europe wants to save the planet, but its share of plastic pollution is only 5 percent
- 2023-11-23 New solution adds value and ease to machine-harvested blueberries
- 2023-11-22 "There will be no regression to classic plastic packaging"
- 2023-11-20 What will the war on plastic cost the fresh produce industry?
- 2023-11-14 A smart solution for packing small fruits and mushrooms
- 2023-11-14 Plug plant and seed tray packs ensure safe seed deliveries
- 2023-11-13 More and more innovations in advanced packaging
- 2023-11-07 WPTC European tomato production update
- 2023-11-07 Compostable packaging: keeping produce fresh and sustainable
- 2023-11-06 "In the end, rising freight costs lead to higher offer prices in retail"
- 2023-11-02 "Cold chain temperature monitoring maximizes shelf-life and reduces food waste"
- 2023-11-02 Dutch branch Celtic Refrigeration has bankruptcy declared - talks on restart ongoing
- 2023-11-01 Corrugated packaging gets smarter and greener
- 2023-11-01 "With the press of a button, from 200g iceberg lettuce to 600g spinach"
- 2023-10-16 New bundling machine unveiled at Fruit Attraction