Top 5 -yesterday
- "We can now capture the whole value chain, from young plants to the consumer"
- Dutch Berries: 20 hectares of high-tech strawberry cultivation
- How to shift from optimal growth with LEDs to optimal energy usage
- Adjusting irrigation water: bicarbonates vs. pH
- Carbon footprint of importing food could be 7.5x higher than thought
Top 5 -last month
Ministry report shows: organic farming on the rise in UAE
As demand grows for fresh locally grown chemical-free produce, a report issued by the Ministry of Environment and Water reveals that there are over 40 organic farms in the UAE., spanning a total area of about 3,890 hectares, growing a range of 62 products.
The report said most of the country’s organic farms grow date palms, tomatoes, green beans and other vegetables and fruits. It also underlined the ministry’s support to the farmers, encouraging them to convert to organic farming.
The ministry has not only opened two marketing centres in Dubai for organic farm products, it has also distributed 600,000 bags of organic fertilisers to more than 10,000 farmers.
The ministry has implemented a comprehensive training programme on the fundamentals of organic farming for farmers and workers in agriculture and is currently developing a strategy for organic farming in the UAE.
Receive the daily newsletter in your email for free | Click here
Other news in this sector:
- 2022-08-09 Cost Share Organic Certification Fee application period still open
- 2022-07-07 Revamped baby leaf containers to debut at Organic Produce Summit
- 2022-02-24 Consultants in organic farming get to the heart of the matter with growers
- 2022-02-01 U.S. organic produce sales top $9 billion in 2021
- 2021-10-27 Canadian greenhouse grower expands organics program
- 2021-09-27 Organic shoppers demand sustainable packaging
- 2021-09-21 Greenhouse growers present on Organic Produce Summit
- 2021-09-16 The UK horticulture conference created by growers for growers is back!
- 2021-06-03 Booth registration opens for Organic Grower Summit
- 2021-06-01 Pinduoduo embarks on first-of-its-kind study into plant-based meats
- 2021-05-07 Organic pak choi grown in good Dutch soil
- 2021-04-26 The World Food Innovation Awards awards the Monterosa tomato as the best natural and organic product
- 2021-04-23 Strategic organic partnership carries over to upcoming show
- 2021-04-01 "A coherent strategy for organic is essential"
- 2021-03-31 "There are wonderful sustainable initiatives, they are just not organic"
- 2021-03-22 Judge rules: This lettuce can be organic
- 2021-03-08 Regulatory changes expected to restrict smaller companies’ ability to provide beneficial microbes
- 2021-02-01 US: Organic greenhouse tomatoes see increased demand across varieties
- 2021-01-21 Ample organic cauliflower on the market
- 2021-01-11 Both a radish and a root vegetable – the watermelon radish