- VP Growing Operations
- Head Grower Strawberries, Australia
- Growing Manager for Hydroponic strawberry producer
- Farm Manager Costa Rica
- Regional Sales Manager Fresh Produce
- Head Grower Strawberries, Norway
- Export Trade Manager
- Business Developer - Northern Europe
- Orchard Sector Manager
New ‘Florida Farm Weather’ app aimed at farmers
The information is available online, where a map of the state of Florida aggregates data collected from weather stations on private agricultural lands throughout Florida. Visit http://fawn.ifas.ufl.edu/mffw/ and check the box next to “Grower” to view the data. The information is also available on Android smartphone platforms. An iPhone platform will be available in coming months. In addition, more enhancements, including historical data, will be added to the site.
“This technology will help Florida agricultural producers more efficiently manage irrigation and the application of nutrients on their lands,” said Florida Commissioner of Agriculture Adam H. Putnam. “Real-time weather data will also help producers save costs and mitigate their impact on the environment.”
Over the past year, the department has partnered with agricultural producers to install the weather stations and input data into a test site. So far, 79 operations are participating in the pilot program, with more applications pending. Producers enrolled in Florida’s agricultural Best Management Practices are eligible to participate.
Producers are eligible to receive funding for one weather station for each 300 acres of the operation. The department provides 75 percent of the cost of each device up to $5,000, with a total cap of $25,000 per producer. The technology was developed through a partnership with the University of Florida’s Automated Weather Network (FAWN).
Receive the daily newsletter in your email for free | Click here
Other news in this sector:
- 2023-09-06 Corenthin (Felix) Chassouant new director of sales and business development at Harnois
- 2023-06-12 Agreement reached for the price of processing tomatoes in northern Italy
- 2023-05-09 North Dublin vegetable grower fears enormous tax bill after farm land was rezoned for housing
- 2023-04-13 "Modern farming techniques are now increasingly being used by Indian growers"
- 2023-04-03 Circular Carbon produces fully certified biochar from cocoa shells for horticulture and agriculture
- 2023-03-16 “Liniac zucchini: quality choice among open field crops”
- 2023-02-22 Significant desert region lettuce ice
- 2022-03-18 NSW floods kill millions of bees
- 2022-01-04 Lettuce ice means higher January markets likely
- 2021-10-26 Mixed grower-shipper reactions to California’s recent rains
- 2021-09-06 "You can tell it's not from a hothouse'
- 2021-07-02 Harvest of California chili peppers has kicked off
- 2021-06-25 EU and US pass climate laws
- 2021-04-29 Cow afloat
- 2021-04-06 Egypt, Ethiopia & Sudan set for more dam talks
- 2021-02-25 State-of-the-art lab is MU effort to raise awareness of the university’s first Black teacher
- 2021-02-23 Musical tribute to the Westland region now also on online streaming services
- 2021-01-28 LED project highlights the beauty of agriculture
- 2021-01-18 Inventor of pipe rail system Jaap Zegwaard passed away
- 2020-12-17 "I don’t think many people can comprehend the carnage which is about to ensue"