- Production Manager
- Assistant Professor - Controlled Environments Entomologist
- Technical Development Specialist | Horticulture | France
- Director of Business Development | Middle East | Agtech
- Farm/Production Manager; Berlin (m/w/d)
- Trader Asian Market
- Avocado Growing Manager - Kenya
- Operations Accountant
- Sales Manager for Nordic countries (H/F)
- Senior Breeder
Top 5 -yesterday
Top 5 -last week
Top 5 -last month
- Zambia: "We produce 5,000 units of lettuce per week, per tunnel, year-round"
- UK growers stop planting and put nurseries on sale amidst energy crisis and labor shortage
- Family business: growing tomatoes in greenhouses for over 60 years with an eye on innovations
- Passive solar greenhouses: How Ladakh farmers are harvesting crops in winter
- "High-tech farmer AppHarvest is running out of money"
"We call the videos the Pop Idol for farmers”"
India: Entrepreneur Rikin Gandhi helps farmers with educational video's
They provide farmers with nifty $200 (£130) handheld, battery-operated, small, handheld pico projectors to show the videos to small groups of people in electricity-starved villages.
In five years since it started, says Mr Gandhi, more than 150,000 farmers have watched 2,600 such videos in 20 different languages in more than 2,000 villages in seven states where Digital Green has a presence. More than half the people watching these videos and putting lessons learnt from them into practice are women.
The eight to 10-minute videos try to answer elementary questions that often cloud farmers' minds: How do you select a crop? How do you prepare your land and nursery beds? How do you transplant crops? How do you remove weeds to get a healthier crop?
The most popular videos, says Mr Gandhi, are the ones where farmers are able to draw lessons from experiences with limited financial risks.
The venture has been supported by Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation and the government of India, among others.
Click here for more info and to see a video
Receive the daily newsletter in your email for free | Click here
Other news in this sector:
- 2022-11-28 US (OH): Food waste being turned into compost for greenhouse
- 2022-11-28 WUR develops apps for 3D image recognition
- 2022-11-28 Fast and reliable measurement of the freshness and shelf life of tomato
- 2022-11-28 Inside the farm growing mushrooms in the Abu Dhabi desert
- 2022-11-24 US (NC): Hydroponic units supply food pantry
- 2022-11-23 UK: Young farmers discuss industry's plans at next generation conference
- 2022-11-23 TİKA set up 3 hydroponic greenhouses in Lebanon
- 2022-11-23 UK: Plan lodged with Highland Council for shed and greenhouse at Castletown youth club
- 2022-11-23 Workshop helps shape future of AgTech, good jobs in Central Queensland
- 2022-11-21 Saffron production under controlled conditions
- 2022-11-21 Mobile aeroponic system requires less maintenance and guarantees even irrigation
- 2022-11-18 SA: Empowerment project sees Nederburg grow its own lunch
- 2022-11-18 Brooklyn's The Greenhouse Bar, a slick combination of businesses
- 2022-11-17 New greenhouse to help provide healthy food at Central Iowa Shelter & Services
- 2022-11-17 Scaling out aeroponics technology for potato mini tuber production in Rwanda
- 2022-11-16 Zimbabwe aims for a higher horticultural output
- 2022-11-16 Full LED-lit strawberry crop delivers 'Rolls Royce' among strawberries
- 2022-11-14 Bonwell: the multi-fruited mini cucumber with high resistance to CGMMV
- 2022-11-14 Site potentials for upscaled aquaponics in a Berlin case study
- 2022-11-10 Sri Lanka: "No proper regulatory system to control vegetable seed prices"