Top 5 -last month
first Canadian grower with certificate:
CA: Mucci Farms facilities and fleet now Carbonzero Certified
Recently, Mucci partnered with Carbonzero to achieve Carbonzero Certification for their Mucci Pac and REMASCO facilities, as well as emissions from Mucci Pac delivery fleet. To accomplish this, Mucci worked with Walker Environmental Group and Carbonzero to determine the carbon footprint from such activities as electricity, natural gas fleet delivery vehicle usage. Having a firm understanding of their carbon footprint will help Mucci reduce its environmental impact, further illustrating their stewardship commitments.
In order to take responsibility for their carbon footprint, Mucci has acquired high-quality, Ontario-based carbon offsets to neutralize the footprint of the Mucci Pac and Remasco facilities. A firm believer in the importance of reducing its direct environmental impact, through their greenERhouse ™ program, Mucci has implemented a number of green initiatives, including: reducing emissions by 5%/yr from 2011-2015, using alternative fuels, recycling plant growing media, usage of an automated energy and sustainability tracking software and becoming independently certified for not growing genetically modified foods.
"Given the scale and intensity of our modern greenhouse operations, it is only right for our employees, customers, and local community to demand, and incumbent upon us to implement bold measures to account for and minimize our environmental impacts,” notes Jim Gallant, VP Operations & Engineering at REMASCO, “Such burden Mucci Farms most willingly and gladly accepts while leading and promoting our industry by doing so."
Walker Environmental Group was instrumental in the collection of data and calculation of the footprint. “We are excited to be a part of the Mucci Group’s journey to Carbonzero Certification and would like to congratulate them on their achievement,” remarks Mike Watt, VP at Walker Environmental Group. “Calculating the greenhouse gas impact of business activities will allow the group to use carbon as a driver for continuous environmental improvement and is a great compliment to their new greenERhouseTM program. “
Carbonzero offers the certification to organizations that successfully demonstrate carbon neutrality while following a specific framework. “Carbonzero has helped many organizations advance their sustainability initiatives by becoming carbon neutral,” notes Dan Fraleigh, Chief Operating Officer at Carbonzero. “What we’ve seen from working with the Mucci team is that they’re passionate and dedicated to looking at all aspects of their business to enhance sustainability. As a result, Carbonzero is proud to work with such a socially responsible partner in Mucci Farms.”
For further information please contact:
Evan DiValentino- VP, Sales & Marketing
Tel: 416-640-8900 ext. 3012
Kyle Monteith, Team Lead, Carbon Neutral Services
Walker Environmental Group
Jim Gallant P.Eng, VP Operations & Engineering
Cell: (519) 999-4678
Receive the daily newsletter in your email for free | Click here
Other news in this sector:
- 2022-08-08 Japanese strawberry grower increases production thanks to hanging kit
- 2022-08-08 IE: Boyne Valley community greenhouses helping to feed the hungry
- 2022-08-08 NZ: Downsizing crops, but passion for tomatoes remains strong
- 2022-07-22 Belgium: "In comparison to last year, we’ve doubled production, as well as our revenue"
- 2022-07-22 China: New demand for leafy vegetables brings opportunity to the industry
- 2022-07-21 China: Looking into a 73 hectare greenhouse park
- 2022-07-19 How plants are cooling greenhouses during the heatwave
- 2022-07-14 US (NY): Food trends are driving the demand for specialty mushrooms
- 2022-07-12 German retailer Kaufland and horti-family Reichenspurner open new greenhouse
- 2022-07-11 "New farms start operating by the end of the year"
- 2022-07-07 "Once you have fought temperatures above 35°C for strawberries, leafy greens aren't very daunting"
- 2022-07-05 Founder of Fairtrasa opens up during podcast about being kidnapped by Mexican gangsters
- 2022-06-29 Cock van Overbeek passed away
- 2022-06-20 Improve greenhouse management efficiency to counter lack of labor
- 2022-06-14 No drama with climate management at Drama greenhouse, Greece
- 2022-06-06 Leafy greens and vine crops grow in tropical Thai greenhouse
- 2022-06-06 Dubai grower helps tropical fruit thrive through modern methods
- 2022-06-02 New blueberry variety thriving at Australian grower
- 2022-05-27 Labor and inflation major challenges for the UK soft fruit industry
- 2022-05-25 Mariusz has a good fit with employer Blueberries Grathem