- Import and Export Sales Manager
- Sales Manager - US
- Grower | Cannabis
- Key Account Manager (f/m/d) - Full-time
- Vice President of Growing Operations
- Account Manager - Canada
- Account Manager - United States
- Procurement Manager Blueberries
- International Fruit Trader
- Sales Manager (Europe Division)
Kenya: Nairobi's local fresh produce appetite thrives greenhouse industry
Daniel Muiruri, a medium-scale farmer at Isinya township South of Nairobi, says selling fresh produce directly to hoteliers has assured him of a regular market for his produce.
“I have been struggling to meet growing demand, thanks to an emerging trend where hotels buy directly from farmers,” he said.
Mr Muiruri, who is the director of Jidan Enterprises, has a 10-acre farm in Isinya that is dedicated to horticultural farming and is one of the major suppliers of ArtCaffe, a leading upmarket restaurant group in Nairobi.
In a relationship that has lasted for over six years, Mr Muiruri says he has not only increased the area under cultivation and boosted his revenue, but also created more than 50 jobs.
“Sometimes I do not meet demand. The market has really expanded. While I make every effort to deliver produce in time knowing how important this is, I also love the way they are prompt in paying,” said Mr Muiruri.
Investing in modern irrigation techniques and greenhouses has not only helped him to cultivate more crops from the same piece of land but has also allowed him to produce all year round.
“When you enter into partnerships with buyers you have to keep your end of the bargain to remain in business,” he said, an approach that has seen him win more clients.
He now supplying farm produce to schools and supermarkets as well as other hotels.
Receive the daily newsletter in your email for free | Click here
Other news in this sector:
- 2023-11-27 Malaysia: Cultivating sustainable ways to feed the country
- 2023-11-27 "It's crucial to promote urban farming to boost healthy eating habits in cities"
- 2023-11-27 Ecuador’s blueberry industry is the 'new kid on the block' with 52 weeks supply advantage
- 2023-11-27 Cuba turns to aquaponics to solve food shortage
- 2023-11-27 Indonesian greenhouse sets record with 5.8 kg melon
- 2023-11-24 Little boy is a big fan of broccoli, sleeps with it but doesn't eat it
- 2023-11-24 Berry entrepreneurs in Huelva venture into the medical cannabis industry
- 2023-11-24 “We are only producing first-class products”
- 2023-11-23 US: Mushroom farm yields 800 to 1000lbs weekly
- 2023-11-23 Norway: “We’re matching import prices to break into the market”
- 2023-11-23 Retirement beckons for NZ watercress trailblazers
- 2023-11-23 Introducing North American consumers to greenhouse-grown radishes
- 2023-11-22 US (NC): New partnership creates first-ever indoor hydroponic coffee farm
- 2023-11-21 Namibia: 3 hectare greenhouse grows hydroponic tomatoes and cut flowers
- 2023-11-21 US: Carl Gupton new CEO of Greenswell Growers
- 2023-11-20 US: "Working hard for little in return"