Top 5 -yesterday
- "Kawaguchi tomato variety good option for consumer, but also good for the grower"
- Canadian grower adds space to indoor strawberry farm
- Unprecedented challenges ahead for the Fresh Herbs Industry
- More demand for pepper washers due to aphids
- "Production volume of Chinese strawberry tomatoes grew by 20%-30% this year"
Top 5 -last month
India: Greenhouse fodder in 7 days brings cheer to farmers
Goa State Cooperative Milk Producers' Union Limited, Curti in Ponda, set up ten units at different dairy cooperative societies under the Rashtriya Krishi Vikas Yojana (RKVY) scheme of the central government for the production of hydroponics green fodder. One unit was also set up at the ICAR in Old Goa for research.
The lack of availability of land, salinity problems, costly labour inputs and more time (up to 45-60 days) for its growth are major constraints in fodder production. "Hydroponic fodder helps farmers as an alternative to conventional methods of fodder cultivation," said Prafulla Kumar Naik, ICAR's senior scientist (animal nutrition).
Maize is considered the best for fodder production. "Goa's climate is hot and humid and maize, as a khariff crop, is suitable," Naik said. If air conditioning is used in the green houses in which hydroponic fodder is grown then the input cost goes up but the selection of maize obviates the need for it. The nutrient content is also good as it contains proteins, carbohydrates and fats which make it apt for cattle feed.
Receive the daily newsletter in your email for free | Click here
Other news in this sector:
- 2022-08-11 US: How the climate deal would help farmers aid the environment
- 2022-08-10 Top tips for growing lettuce in a greenhouse
- 2022-08-09 "Drought will affect economy, not food supply"
- 2022-08-09 Uganda: Soilless farming highlights Kabale Farm Clinic
- 2022-08-09 Regulation of fleshy fruit ripening: From transcription factors to epigenetic modifications
- 2022-08-09 Mapping fruit characteristics faster with vision and AI
- 2022-08-08 Growing fruits and vegetables on the roof of the MIN in Toulouse
- 2022-08-08 Covered cultivation extends soft fruit season
- 2022-08-08 Pink and White strawberries soon to hit Aussie market
- 2022-08-08 "Fulvic acid encourages optimal growth in all plant phases"
- 2022-07-22 US (VA): Inside the Goochland greenhouse trying to create the freshest lettuce in town
- 2022-07-22 Powering plant growth with solar instead of photosynthesis more efficient?
- 2022-07-21 Prediction of strawberry fruit yield based on cultivar-specific growth models
- 2022-07-21 Crop change in Southern Europe greenhouses
- 2022-07-20 Take a look in the RIPE facility
- 2022-07-20 Higher productivity and earliness are the story behind these pink greenhouses
- 2022-07-19 SpaceX Dragon docks with ISS carrying research and fresh vegetables
- 2022-07-19 A satellite view of Almeria's sea of greenhouses
- 2022-07-18 New sprayer for strawberries and low-growing crops
- 2022-07-18 Texan urban farms donates one million servings