- Sales Representative Substrates Peru
- Head Grower – High Technology Organic Greenhouse
- Import and Export Sales Manager
- Sales Manager - US
- Key Account Manager (f/m/d) - Full-time
- Vice President of Growing Operations
- Account Manager - Canada
- Account Manager - United States
- Procurement Manager Blueberries
- International Fruit Trader
Vancouver's Sole Food opens largest urban orchard in North America
Ben Schiller at Fast Company reports: "'Urban agriculture' is used fairly loosely," says co-founder Michael Abelman, who is a veteran in the practice. "A lot of what's been called agriculture is more 'gardening' in scale. That's not a value judgement. It's just saying that it is actually possible to develop a full-scale enterprise in a city, and provide lots of food, and employ significant numbers of people."
According to Sole Food's website, the produce they grow is sold at local farmers markets and to restaurants. The farms serve as an example for others with urban agriculture ambitions: "Sole Food now includes a network of farms throughout the city that are providing meaningful employment to 25 individuals who are dealing with drug addiction and mental illness. The farms are supplying fresh food to city residents, and presenting a successful credible model of high quality innovative agriculture within the urban context."
Source: Fast Company, Sole Food, TreeHugger
Receive the daily newsletter in your email for free | Click here
Other news in this sector:
- 2023-12-05 Italian grower plans to expand tunnel cultivation
- 2023-12-05 "Imbalance in berry chain squeezes both ends: the grower, and the consumer"
- 2023-12-05 Cucumber grower opts for LEDs to reduce energy consumption and up production
- 2023-12-04 "In Almeria we have lacked water for 60 years; for us, it is not a new issue"
- 2023-12-04 South Africa: Gesture helps Soweto residents to put healthy food on the table and boost a local economy
- 2023-12-04 US (MA): Jail supervisor jumps at chance of running aquaponics greenhouse
- 2023-12-01 Bringing affordable specialty mushrooms to tables across Germany
- 2023-12-01 Former Isle of Wight tomato business land could be turned into houses
- 2023-12-01 "We all need to quickly switch to tropical fruit production in greenhouses"
- 2023-11-30 From eggplants to bullseyes: Dirk is the 'Aubergenius'
- 2023-11-29 Goulburn Valley grower abandons crop blaming high mark-ups at supermarkets
- 2023-11-28 Singapore: S$38 strawberry harvesting experience at hydroponics farm near Buona Vista
- 2023-11-27 Malaysia: Cultivating sustainable ways to feed the country
- 2023-11-27 "It's crucial to promote urban farming to boost healthy eating habits in cities"
- 2023-11-27 Ecuador’s blueberry industry is the 'new kid on the block' with 52 weeks supply advantage
- 2023-11-27 Cuba turns to aquaponics to solve food shortage