- Head Grower Strawberries, Australia
- Growing Manager for Hydroponic strawberry producer
- Farm Manager Costa Rica
- Regional Sales Manager Fresh Produce
- Head Grower Strawberries, Norway
- Export Trade Manager
- Business Developer - Northern Europe
- Orchard Sector Manager
- International Citrus Account Manager
due to high price and weed controls, seedlings more prefered
US: Year-round cabbage supply thanks to greenhouse propagation
Cabbage seeds used to be planted directly into the fields, but as the price of seeds has gone up and the challenge of weed control requires more labor, most farms prefer to work with seedlings, explains Dale Hemminger of Hemdale Farms & Greenhouses in Seneca Castle, Ontario County. Hemdale’s greenhouse operation propagates cabbage seedlings for its own cabbage production and for about 20 other growers. Maier Farms in Webster does the same.
Six to eight weeks after planting, seedlings are ready to be transplanted to the fields. Around here, fields are sowed from April through July. The first cabbages are usually ready to harvest in July and the last around the end of November.
Click here to learn more at democratandchronicle.com.
Receive the daily newsletter in your email for free | Click here
Other news in this sector:
- 2023-09-26 Increase your vegetable consumption to lower your blood sugar
- 2023-09-25 New podcast series about the history of fresh produce
- 2023-09-25 “It is our goal to provide our products in all 50 states”
- 2023-09-18 Growers and chemist innovate with new and existing products
- 2023-09-14 New celery bites introduced
- 2023-09-11 New compostable pot available to North American growers
- 2023-09-07 New salad kits and salad blends will debut at Southern Innovations
- 2023-09-06 Focus on reliability, longer lifetime, reusability, and flexibility
- 2023-09-01 New line of fresh-cut herbs under Vitalicious BIO-Organic label
- 2023-08-29 The nutritional marvel of microgreens
- 2023-08-28 Now, tomatoes can also be worn
- 2023-08-22 "New broad spectrum bioinsecticide back by popular demand"
- 2023-08-21 A nickel-free tomato that meets the needs of allergy sufferers
- 2023-08-09 A plastic film with maximum brightness, thermal efficiency and diffusion
- 2023-08-07 UK: GrowUp Farms launches first range of vertically ready-to-eat salads into Tesco
- 2023-07-20 Can spicy ice cream be dangerous?
- 2023-07-11 Some burgers will be served without tomatoes as crop shortage hits India
- 2023-07-07 Organic and fresh-cut vegetables on display
- 2023-07-04 Water cleanser product to be on display at Cultivate '23
- 2023-06-30 "Everyone loves Honing tomatoes, especially as a snack vegetable"