Top 5 -yesterday
- UK: Grower reduces greenhouse temperature by more than 6°C during heatwave with no cooling, fog systems
- Understanding the profitability of your greenhouse
- Agave: The new drought-tolerant California crop?
- Patromex and DIDIHU partnership invests in modern plant for value-added coconut substrates
- US: Larry Ellison is feeding Hawaii from his high-tech hydroponic farm on Lanai
Top 5 -last month
- Vertical farming technologies tool in researching and fighting diseases
- German retailer Kaufland and horti-family Reichenspurner open new greenhouse
- "Water is the new gold"
- Growing strawberries from seeds becoming increasingly popular
- Higher productivity and earliness are the story behind these pink greenhouses
"African countries need to take actions against climate change"
Richard Muyungi, the chairman of scientific and technological advice of UNFCC said that Africa's tropical location as well as its widespread poverty and reliance on subsistence agriculture makes it the most susceptible to climate change. He stressed that countries need to mainstream climate change in planning processes and government agendas, as it affects all areas of life.
Dr. Jan Verhagen, agriculture and climate change expert and researcher from Wageningen University in the Netherlands, explained that climate change adaptation includes disaster preparedness, as climate change is sure to bring about more extreme and violent weather.
However, according to Verhagen, climate change does not result in constant bad weather. "There are ups and downs for climate change," he mentioned, noting that people must take advantage of favorable times to plan for their future. "If it becomes a better climate for you, for your job, you might be able to access the benefits of it."
Climate change needs to be considered in all aspects of life to insure effective adaptation for the many ways it will impact life. Ben Yassin, Malawi's Chief Environmental Officer, believes that African countries need to take both short-and long-term actions against climate change and reduce greenhouse gas emissions. He stressed that industrialization projects require intensive assessment to make sure that they will not impact negatively on the environment.
"When you are planning, you have to include issues of climate change, adaptation, mitigation, in a manner that prevents what we are using from disappearing for the future generation," he noted.
But environmentalism does not have to be anti-industrialization. Muyungi argued that Africans need to industrialize sustainably. "No country has developed itself without industrialization. We need to use industry in a much more efficient way and for efficiency in technology," he added.
Receive the daily newsletter in your email for free | Click here
Other news in this sector:
- 2022-08-12 US (OR): Research shows that plastic tunnels are very good for strawberries
- 2022-08-12 Agave: The new drought-tolerant California crop?
- 2022-08-12 Trinidad and Tobago: Hydroponic farm offers more economic opportunities than fish production
- 2022-08-11 US: How the climate deal would help farmers aid the environment
- 2022-08-10 Top tips for growing lettuce in a greenhouse
- 2022-08-09 "Drought will affect economy, not food supply"
- 2022-08-09 Uganda: Soilless farming highlights Kabale Farm Clinic
- 2022-08-09 Regulation of fleshy fruit ripening: From transcription factors to epigenetic modifications
- 2022-08-09 Mapping fruit characteristics faster with vision and AI
- 2022-08-08 Growing fruits and vegetables on the roof of the MIN in Toulouse
- 2022-08-08 Covered cultivation extends soft fruit season
- 2022-08-08 Pink and White strawberries soon to hit Aussie market
- 2022-08-08 "Fulvic acid encourages optimal growth in all plant phases"
- 2022-07-22 US (VA): Inside the Goochland greenhouse trying to create the freshest lettuce in town
- 2022-07-22 Powering plant growth with solar instead of photosynthesis more efficient?
- 2022-07-21 Prediction of strawberry fruit yield based on cultivar-specific growth models
- 2022-07-21 Crop change in Southern Europe greenhouses
- 2022-07-20 Take a look in the RIPE facility
- 2022-07-20 Higher productivity and earliness are the story behind these pink greenhouses
- 2022-07-19 SpaceX Dragon docks with ISS carrying research and fresh vegetables