Top 5 -yesterday
- "We can now capture the whole value chain, from young plants to the consumer"
- Dutch Berries: 20 hectares of high-tech strawberry cultivation
- How to shift from optimal growth with LEDs to optimal energy usage
- Adjusting irrigation water: bicarbonates vs. pH
- Carbon footprint of importing food could be 7.5x higher than thought
Top 5 -last month
AU: Abundance of produce depressing prices in Queensland
Brisbane wholesaler and exporter Peter Kedwell says good seasonal conditions have seen big supplies of rockmelons, watermelons cherries, stonefruit. all in good condition and summer vegetables are also well supplied.
Kedwell says the export sector offers little relief as the high value of the dollar makes it difficult to get produce to sea.
"We used to export $5 million dollars worth of Queensland rock melons into Dubai each year. We will never supply them again. They are getting them direct from Honduras, by ship, they are being quoted six month price in advance and so the only market we will be supplying in Dubai is the spot market, which is a big loss to the rockmelon industry here in Qld,"
Around the state, there is an abundance of cheap fruit in southern Queensland.
In the Townsville area they are still waiting for nectarines, Cherries range between $8 and $10 kilo across some stores at the moment.
Plums are selling for 6 dollars a kilo, nectarines and peaches for $5 a kg and apricots for $10 a kg.
Kensington Pride and Bowen mangoes can be bought for $5 a kg. Prices will be variable throughout December.
Receive the daily newsletter in your email for free | Click here
Other news in this sector:
- 2022-08-10 Southeastern European countries importing more and more fresh fruits and vegetables
- 2022-08-10 NZ: Microgreens business bounces back after Covid
- 2022-08-10 Snacking vegetable market continuing to grow despite global challenges
- 2022-08-09 Unusual heat doubled tomato prices in Tajikistan
- 2022-08-09 Canada again puts import requirements on US romaine lettuce
- 2022-08-09 Carbon footprint of importing food could be 7.5x higher than thought
- 2022-08-09 South Korea: Oversupply of smart farming vegetables calls for more supply platforms
- 2022-08-08 Hungary: What are the challenges and opportunities today for horti growers?
- 2022-08-08 US: Updates and annual facility certification for the offshore greenhouse certification program
- 2022-07-22 GLOBAL MARKET OVERVIEW CUCUMBER
- 2022-07-22 The Italian tomato production: an overview
- 2022-07-22 Shortage of certain tomato varieties expected this fall
- 2022-07-22 South African strawberry exports ramp up
- 2022-07-22 Average retail price of tomatoes in India down 39% over last month
- 2022-07-21 Multiple growing regions and freight factor into US cucumber pricing
- 2022-07-21 ‘Tomato industry in Ghana has collapsed’
- 2022-07-21 "The available supply of organic cucumbers does not cover the European demand"
- 2022-07-20 Herb prices skyrocket in Australia
- 2022-07-20 Used pallet demand is booming in the UK
- 2022-07-20 The NHAES 2022 INSPIRED Horticultural Research Report