- Grower Support Manager (Blueberries) - Harare, Zimbabwe
- Finance Director - Ukraine
- Sales Manager and Quality Assurance Supervisor
- Breeder (MSc) - Hann. Münden, Germany
- Buitendienst Medewerker - België
- Assistant Grower Manager Tomato & Capsicums - Malaysia Highlands
- Assistant Grower Manager Lettuce & Herbs - Malaysia Highlands
- Trainee Production Management - starting location Ethiopia
- Сhief technologist, Tula region - Russia
- Сhief technology officer, Tula region - Russia
Top 5 -yesterday
- “Indoor farming is about producing an economic product by using technology”
- Georgia: Cucumber grower installs new grow lights for high quality winter crop
- Market scan: Japan's modern greenhouse industry
- First bananas harvested from Dutch greenhouse
- "Better to have a larger pipe with a small pump than vice versa"
Top 5 -last week
Top 5 -last month
Spain: Desalinated water to irrigate Almería greenhouses
Their main conclusion has been that it is profitable to use desalinated water for irrigation in greenhouses since it has caused increases in production, also improving the uniformity in the quality parameters of crops.
For decades, the Almería greenhouses have been the true engine for socio-economic and demographic development in many of its areas. Annually the 31,000 hectares of greenhouses produce more than 3 million tons of fruits and vegetables, generating a value of almost €2 billion; more than 76% of the production is exported.
The Almería model is a success story that, nevertheless, presents three pressing problems: downward pressure on prices, water and waste management.
The current study focused on the water problem in one of the most arid regions of Europe.
The efficiency in water use is high in the greenhouse area but however the average annual consumption per hectare is close to 5,000 cubic meters, of which 80% come from the subsoil; this causes an annual water deficit of 170 cubic hectometers. There has been a pressure on water resources causing problems of noticeable lowering of the water table and aquifers salinization.
The sustainability of the province water resources goes through the use of desalinated, reclaimed and runoff water.
Of these thee water sources, considering the available volume in Almería, desalinated seawater stands out. Almería has two desalination plants, one in Carboneras, with annual distribution capacity of 42 cubic hectometers, and the other in Campo de Dalías, with 30.1 cubic hectometers.
The main objective of the study was to analyze the differences in agronomic and economic productivity with the promised results above cited.
For an extended use of desalinated seawater, the authors indicated that the main problems lies in its price, which is 0.53 €/cubic meter. They consider 0.30 €/cubic meter a reasonable price.
Energy consumption is the main factor that contributes to such a high price of water. The study’s authors believe that, with technological improvement and the inclusion of renewable energies, the energy consumption for desalination can be considerably reduced.
Source: agronegocios.es / www.agroberichtenbuitenland.nl
Publication date :
Receive the daily newsletter in your email for free | Click here
Other news in this sector:
- 2018-12-14 2018 Winter Light Greenhouse harvest: 122 kg cucumbers per square meter
- 2018-12-14 Russia: 9 ha greenhouse complex opened in Stavropol
- 2018-12-14 US (MA): Lettuce grower reduces winter crop cycle by over 25% using LEDs
- 2018-12-13 First bananas harvested from Dutch greenhouse
- 2018-12-13 Georgia: Cucumber grower installs new grow lights for high quality winter crop
- 2018-12-13 Macfrut 2019: First Greenhouse Technology Village shows greenhouse cultivation
- 2018-12-13 New tomato greenhouses planned in Solnechnodolsk
- 2018-12-12 A greenhouse has been shot into space
- 2018-12-12 It’s possible to grow more cucumbers via AI
- 2018-12-12 Don't keep a fruit bowl near your Christmas tree
- 2018-12-12 Australia: Towrang greenhouses project raises hackles
- 2018-12-12 Turkey: Tomato grower goes bananas
- 2018-12-12 Russia: New high-tech greenhouse opened in Kaliningrad
- 2018-12-12 A greenhouse in the eternal ice: vegetable gardening in the Antarctic
- 2018-12-12 A new greenhouse in Sakhalin collects crops
- 2018-12-11 Italy: the growing aromatic herbs sector
- 2018-12-11 New Zealand: Bio-degradable twine trial in South Auckland
- 2018-12-11 Turkish, Kuwaiti businesspeople invest $100M in greenhouses
- 2018-12-11 CAN (ON): Greenhouse developments around Kingsville raising resident concerns
- 2018-12-11 Australia: Chinese horticulture company brings solar-powered facility to Whyalla