- Grower Support Manager (Blueberries) - Harare, Zimbabwe
- Finance Director - Ukraine
- Sales Manager and Quality Assurance Supervisor
- Breeder (MSc) - Hann. Münden, Germany
- Buitendienst Medewerker - België
- Assistant Grower Manager Tomato & Capsicums - Malaysia Highlands
- Assistant Grower Manager Lettuce & Herbs - Malaysia Highlands
- Trainee Production Management - starting location Ethiopia
- Сhief technologist, Tula region - Russia
- Сhief technology officer, Tula region - Russia
Top 5 -yesterday
- CAN (BC): "We have discovered the cannabis industry is not quite ready for outsourcing plant propagation"
- "Every time we are surprised by the ideas of our clients"
- Turkey: Tomato grower goes bananas
- It’s possible to grow more cucumbers via AI
- Digestate as alternative substrate for soil-less lettuce farming
Top 5 -last week
Top 5 -last month
US: Toolkit helps growers understand the economics of seed
The toolkit is available at http://articles.extension.org/pages/74676/economic-risk-management-for-organic-seed-growers.
While organic food sales continue to increase, the organic seed supply lags behind in meeting the needs of farmers. OSA created these resources to support organic seed producers throughout the country to help fill this gap and provide growers more control over their seed supply.
The project will help farmers reduce financial risk in commercial seed production. While organic seed production is a developing industry and a viable economic opportunity for organic growers, there is uncertainty and risk. In particular, seed growers need mentorship in enterprise budgeting, record keeping, and marketing strategy.
The new toolkit includes webinar recordings from a daylong seed economics intensive held at the 9th Organic Seed Growers Conference in Corvallis, Oregon, this past February. These webinars were recorded live and presented by seed growers and agricultural economists. Trainings include instruction and case studies on inventory management, contracts and marketing, enterprise budgets, and more.
Seed growers will also find downloadable tools that they can adapt for their own business needs. The toolkit includes an enterprise budget tool to help farmers understand the costs associated with producing individual seed crops on their farms. Another tool helps farmers track labor costs related to seed production. Farmers will also find a planning tool to help guide decision making around how much and how often to produce foundation, stock, and production seed.
For more information:
Organic Seed Alliance
Publication date :
Receive the daily newsletter in your email for free | Click here
Other news in this sector:
- 2018-12-04 Organic farming increases despite the greater effort required
- 2018-11-20 US: Organic Trade Association seeking “big ideas” on voluntary check-off
- 2018-11-15 "More and more Moroccan growers switch because of good demand for organic"
- 2018-10-30 "Market for organic vegetables is nowhere near saturated"
- 2018-10-29 France: Study shows promising health effects of organic diet
- 2018-10-23 CAN (ON): Developing a strategy for better information on organic production
- 2018-10-08 UK: Organic sector calls for much clearer contingency measures as Brexit looms
- 2018-10-04 "Growing organic not always feasible"
- 2018-10-03 Spain: Cybelion receives organic certification
- 2018-09-26 Ukrainian government established 2-level control system for organic products
- 2018-09-21 US: Record number of Organic Trade Association members vote in Board election
- 2018-09-11 Government of Canada celebrates Organic Week
- 2018-09-10 "Congress should support organic farming"
- 2018-08-27 More than $8 million to help strengthen and grow Canada's organic sector
- 2018-08-27 "Organic food exports at mercy of EU discretion after no-deal Brexit"
- 2018-08-24 US: Edible Garden to supply organic leafy greens to national grocery chains
- 2018-08-21 Organic agriculture on the rise in Bulgaria
- 2018-08-08 How does an organic farm create its own organic fertilizer?
- 2018-08-08 US (PA): $500,000 for Rodale Institute to fund organic research
- 2018-07-20 Spain: CASI doubles acreage devoted to organic production