- Grower Support Manager (Blueberries) - Harare, Zimbabwe
- Finance Director - Ukraine
- Sales Manager and Quality Assurance Supervisor
- Breeder (MSc) - Hann. Münden, Germany
- Buitendienst Medewerker - België
- Assistant Grower Manager Tomato & Capsicums - Malaysia Highlands
- Assistant Grower Manager Lettuce & Herbs - Malaysia Highlands
- Trainee Production Management - starting location Ethiopia
- Сhief technologist, Tula region - Russia
- Сhief technology officer, Tula region - Russia
Top 5 -yesterday
- CAN (BC): "We have discovered the cannabis industry is not quite ready for outsourcing plant propagation"
- "Every time we are surprised by the ideas of our clients"
- Turkey: Tomato grower goes bananas
- It’s possible to grow more cucumbers via AI
- Digestate as alternative substrate for soil-less lettuce farming
Top 5 -last week
Top 5 -last month
Plant Growth Chambers in use at University of Florida for over 45 years
Traveled from coast to coast
In 1992, Dr. Dawson moved to Florida to continue with his research at the Citrus Research and Education Center at the University of Florida despite being faced with leaving behind the Conviron manufactured chambers he found were essential for his research. Rather than purchasing new chambers for his research, he made an offer to the University of California for the 20-year-old chambers, raised the necessary funds to purchase them, and moved them across the country to his research facility in Florida.
Leading research to protect citrus
The emphasis of the program Dr. Dawson leads at the University of Florida consists of doing laboratory work around the molecular genetics of virus-host interactions and methods to control diseases caused by Citrus tristeza virus (CTV). They have developed CTV into a tool to help find methods to control citrus canker and greening (Citrus Research and Education Center, 2018). The Citrus tristeza virus is one of the “most economically important virus disease of citrus in the world” (Lee, 2015); it has killed more than 50 million trees on sour orange rootstock. This complex disorder is made from different and distinct diseases which are transmitted by aphids that penetrate the phloem to feed on the sap.
Over the years, the Citrus Research and Education Center acquired additional chambers with higher light intensity, but their original chambers are still an essential tool in their research process. For example, to remove virus from infected plants, the chambers are programmed to run at high temperatures for 4-hour periods. Part of the research also uses the chambers to help understand how virus multiplies in different environments and conditions in plants such as tobacco or citrus.
Durable beyond expectation
Dr. Dawson has been more than satisfied with the durability of the chambers. He recalled one story that happened in the last five years when he sent an original, non-working controller box back to Conviron. He remembers being told by the service experts in Winnipeg that there was no replacement part for the 40-year-old component, however everyone was impressed to hear about a piece of hardware that had been in field service for so many years.
Source: Plant Growth Chambers
Publication date :
Receive the daily newsletter in your email for free | Click here
Other news in this sector:
- 2018-12-13 US (PA): School opens 6,100 sq.ft. public educational aquaponics facility
- 2018-12-12 France: Rooftop farm grows plants, vodka and fish
- 2018-12-12 AVF advertises vertical farming in Asia
- 2018-12-12 Canada: An update on aquaponic organic certification
- 2018-12-11 US (MN): Students grow their own veggies at home
- 2018-12-11 Greek students design autonomous aquaponics system
- 2018-12-11 Ship to Plate, food grown onboard cruise condo ships
- 2018-12-10 Saba to set up hydroponic farm
- 2018-12-10 US (CT): Recap of 2018 Hartford Aquaponic Tours
- 2018-12-07 146 million USD invested in indoor ag this year
- 2018-12-05 We have lift-off
- 2018-12-05 "Nigeria’s small farmers are embracing hydroponics"
- 2018-12-05 Belgian supermarket to introduce in-store vertical farms
- 2018-12-04 France: Agricool raises 28 million US dollars for urban farming
- 2018-12-04 Advancements in automated commercial scale vertical farming
- 2018-11-30 Is digging down the future of vertical farming?
- 2018-11-30 IKEA: Furniture, meatballs... and vertical farms?
- 2018-11-29 UK: James Hutton Institute welcomes Tay Cities Deal funding boost
- 2018-11-29 Dozens of cameras film food production on Antarctica
- 2018-11-29 US (MI): Freight farm to grow vegetables for Detroit homeless