- Sales Manager / Director - West Coast primary, USA
- Medewerker productmanagement support - Bleiswijk
- Head grower & Indoor farming-/hydroponic specialist - Küssnacht am Rigi, Switzerland
- Technical Director - Addis Ababa, Ethiopia
- Onderzoekassistent Fenotyperen - Bleiswijk
- Horticultural Soil Sales Representative - USA
- Turnkey Vegetable Greenhouse Sales Representative - USA
- Sales Administrator - Europe Division
- Junior Sales Manager - Europe Division
- Head Grower - Avoine, France
Top 5 -yesterday
- "We will supply 2 million kg of fresh produce to the UAE market in 2021"
- Investors perception: “Cute millennials with a container farm”
- It all started with two teenagers and one invention
- Modern 'dude ranch' uses solar greenhouse to help wounded vets and their families
- Is it possible to cut lettuce in just one second?
Top 5 -last week
Top 5 -last month
- “If we really want to make a change, we should intensively invest in innovation and technique in Africa”
- "Algorithm predicted irrigation need much better than I can with 38 years experience"
- "The sheer size of this pepper greenhouse makes it a remarkable project"
- Increasing yield, while improving plant quality and driving down energy costs
- Get your copy of the Greenhouse Guide
Greek Food Corridors:
Greece: New electronic auction allows growers to leave out the middle man
"The design of the Greek Food Corridors concept is the setting up of a central auction system in Athens, called the “dealing room”, where various fruit and vegetable lots are sold remotely to the highest bidder, using a clock auction system. There is one central server system which communicates with all the regional depots involved in selling the products. In each depot, supplied products are registered with their product characteristics, the correct storage location and the date of receipt, stored in a central database. For example, we receive stock of a particular product, which can be sold afterwards to “registered buyers” through the various e-auction sales tools," CEO Dimitri Haritos explains.
The idea is that supply and demand is brought together. The buyer can check, in real time, the stock of all the members and growers in the nationwide market, and can ask who is able to deliver for a particular price to network members. Afterwards, all of the transaction information is available on the GFC organisation website, for buyers, growers, service providers, etc. After being logged in, the client can view his specific data (transactions, catalogues, statistics, and general information). After the sale, the various depots get the necessary tasks and insights about who is going to load what. The back office software makes the necessary finalisation of the transactions, follow-up of invoices, payments and statistical reports.
"Despite the unfavourable economic environment, there is added value in Greek produce. However, there is a strong need for innovation & collaboration in the Agriculture sector in Greece. Greek producers are small in economic strength, numerous and uncoordinated, and are unable to define the prices of agricultural products. They are not price-makers but price recipients in the hands of a small number of businesses at a monopoly level who are pricing according to their interests. Thus, the prices paid by consumers are often 4-6 times higher than the prices received by the producers," continued Haritos.
"For many years, the Greek Primary sector lacked competitiveness, due to high production costs and weaknesses in the standardisation, handling and marketing of agricultural products. Structural interventions are needed in production and promotion technology level, increasing standardization, and changing the way collectives and groups of growers (GP) are operating in order to cover 50% of the agricultural production, instead of only one fifth today."
Haritos said that one of the advantages to the new infrastructure, especially for small and medium-sized farmer’s cooperatives and producers, is the fact that they will be able to negotiate directly with buyers, both at a national and international level, under the same conditions as larger companies. The new platform will facilitate the task of finding buyers or sellers to negotiate simultaneously and in real time on the trading screen. The members will be able to benefit from economies of scale as well as marketing and from direct access to International markets.
Click here for the white paper report, providing more detailed information on the e-auction infrastructure, block chain and the use of cryptocurrency.
For more information:
Greek Food Corridors
Tel: +30 210 6718745
Fax: +30 210 6718743
Receive the daily newsletter in your email for free | Click here
Other news in this sector:
- 2020-09-22 Matt Roney new Lumileds CEO
- 2020-09-22 California Giant strengthens executive team
- 2020-09-21 AgEye Technologies announces formation of Scientific Advisory Board
- 2020-09-21 Gratitude to gastronomy from the Agricultural Entrepreneur of 2020
- 2020-09-21 Christiane Lambert new Copa president
- 2020-09-18 IGS signs significant export deal with Jungle to supply French retail market
- 2020-09-18 Lettuce color!
- 2020-09-18 UK: Polymer Logistics helps tomato producer APS Group to optimise supply chain
- 2020-09-18 Mike Ecker announced as winner of 2020 CPMA lifetime achievement award
- 2020-09-18 Oppy focuses on expanding procurement and exports with two key promotions
- 2020-09-18 Fairway Green Cannabis and Acniti to collaborate on nanobubble technologies for North American market
- 2020-09-17 Brandt expands Ag sales team in Pacific Northwest and Canada
- 2020-09-17 Stuart Brown new Inari CFO
- 2020-09-17 Automated mobile aeroponics maker becomes certified B Corp
- 2020-09-17 Canada: Ecoation wins World in 2050’s Olympics of Innovation
- 2020-09-17 Infarm raises $170M during pandemic to grow largest urban vertical farming network in the world
- 2020-09-17 “The COVID-19 pandemic provided an unexpected level of challenge"
- 2020-09-17 FDA issues first injunction under Produce Safety Rule to Illinois-based food manufacturer
- 2020-09-17 "We believe that the consumption of Redi will grow considerably in the coming years"
- 2020-09-17 Temasek signs agreement to acquire majority stake in Rivulis