- Head of Sales
- Sales/Business development Manager - Floriculture - Kunming, China
- Sales Manager and Quality Assurance Supervisor
- Grower Support Manager (Blueberries) - Harare, Zimbabwe
- Finance Director - Ukraine
- Breeder (MSc) - Hann. Münden, Germany
- Buitendienst Medewerker - België
- Assistant Grower Manager Tomato & Capsicums - Malaysia Highlands
- Assistant Grower Manager Lettuce & Herbs - Malaysia Highlands
- Trainee Production Management - starting location Ethiopia
Top 5 -yesterday
- France: "Local cultivation is more than the right postal code"
- Machine locates fruits and measures level of ripeness
- Farm identified as source of romaine lettuce E. coli O157:H7 outbreak
- Indoor farming topic of discussion after Dutch farm bankruptcy
- CAN (ON): Aquaponic cannabis grower expands with two new facilities
Top 5 -last week
- Finland: Fully automatic vertical farm demo facility opened
- CAN (BC): "We have discovered the cannabis industry is not quite ready for outsourcing plant propagation"
- Georgia: Cucumber grower installs new grow lights for high quality winter crop
- 2018 Winter Light Greenhouse harvest: 122 kg cucumbers per square meter
- “Indoor farming is about producing an economic product by using technology”
Top 5 -last month
"Learning how to empower plants"
Ed Hardy, Energy Projects Engineer at FEC Energy, recently spent a few days at the Hoogendoorn / LetsGrow.com headquarters in the Netherlands, learning about the principles of plant empowerment from Jan Voogt, one of the authors of the original Dutch handbook on the subject ‘Het Nieuwe Telen’. "Over the years, Jan has been heavily involved with growers pioneering this new way of growing, which goes against conventional methods somewhat. The plant empowerment concept often takes growers outside of their comfort zone, asking them to accept higher temperatures and humidity levels than they are used to. Once the reasons are understood, however, adopting this approach makes sense. Rather than controlling on set-points alone, careful monitoring of the crop, the growing environment and even external conditions, can lead to reduced disease risk, improved crop quality and better energy efficiency."
"The basic idea is to keep the plant in ‘balance’ in terms of energy, water and assimilates, allowing it to take up the nutrients it needs. It is very much a data-driven method of cultivation, but doesn’t necessarily require expensive technologies or equipment. Most modern climate control computers can already record the necessary parameters, but few growers can probably say they make full use of the data available to them. By understanding what the data means and applying the principles of NGG, thus empowering the plant, results from Dutch growers suggest there are many benefits to be realised."
Source: FEC Energy
Publication date :
Receive the daily newsletter in your email for free | Click here
Other news in this sector:
- 2018-12-18 Lettuce from old coal mines
- 2018-12-17 "The crop is ready for the darkest period"
- 2018-12-12 Digestate as alternative substrate for soil-less lettuce farming
- 2018-12-10 Food & Energy training in South Africa
- 2018-12-06 "Think about how test results can be used to your advantage
- 2018-12-06 Austria: Vegetable harvest 2018 was significantly weaker
- 2018-12-05 Italy: the present and the future of the courgette
- 2018-12-04 Central Italy: Floods raise concerns about water stagnation
- 2018-12-03 South Italy: the effects of climate change on Italian produce
- 2018-11-29 "How you grow and process fresh cut basil will impact flavor and shelf life"
- 2018-11-22 Brazilian relative of the humble tomato is a true 'star'
- 2018-11-16 "Pepper grow trials using CO2 foliar spray technology show added value"
- 2018-11-16 Zimbabwe: Model horticulture farms in the pipeline
- 2018-11-16 "Cucumber cultivation in the future no longer feasible without lighting and further automation"
- 2018-11-15 Eye protection for indoor growers
- 2018-11-15 Spain: Aromatic and medicinal herbs, an alternative in irrigated areas
- 2018-11-15 US (NH): Pest and nutrient management in caterpillar tunnels
- 2018-11-13 The effects of water temperature in aquaponics
- 2018-11-06 Spectacular view of red peppers drying in the sun on military farms in Xinjiang
- 2018-11-06 Autumn strawberries production in Marche