- Head of Sales
- Sales/Business development Manager - Floriculture - Kunming, China
- Sales Manager and Quality Assurance Supervisor
- Grower Support Manager (Blueberries) - Harare, Zimbabwe
- Finance Director - Ukraine
- Breeder (MSc) - Hann. Münden, Germany
- Buitendienst Medewerker - België
- Assistant Grower Manager Tomato & Capsicums - Malaysia Highlands
- Assistant Grower Manager Lettuce & Herbs - Malaysia Highlands
- Trainee Production Management - starting location Ethiopia
Top 5 -yesterday
- France: "Local cultivation is more than the right postal code"
- Machine locates fruits and measures level of ripeness
- Farm identified as source of romaine lettuce E. coli O157:H7 outbreak
- Indoor farming topic of discussion after Dutch farm bankruptcy
- CAN (ON): Aquaponic cannabis grower expands with two new facilities
Top 5 -last week
- Finland: Fully automatic vertical farm demo facility opened
- CAN (BC): "We have discovered the cannabis industry is not quite ready for outsourcing plant propagation"
- Georgia: Cucumber grower installs new grow lights for high quality winter crop
- 2018 Winter Light Greenhouse harvest: 122 kg cucumbers per square meter
- “Indoor farming is about producing an economic product by using technology”
Top 5 -last month
US (CO): Aeroponic garden provides students with fresh greens
The “air garden” will help the university reduce its carbon footprint, cut energy costs and eliminate the need for harvesting, cleaning, packing and transporting food from outside farms.
The greenhouse in CU Boulder’s Village Center Dining and Community Commons occupies nearly 3,000 south-facing square feet and consists of 137 grow towers able to produce 44 plants each without soil.
“Locally grown food just tastes better,” said Farm Manager Alex Macmillan, a horticulturalist and organic farmer who will oversee the greenhouse and its production schedule.
Macmillan and student-assistants will start by growing romaine lettuce and other vegetables in stages to ensure a continuous supply of fresh greens.
The inaugural harvest in March produced 15 pounds of kale, 10 pounds of all-star lettuce and 10 pounds of arugula that dining hall employees served to students, staff and faculty.
The aeroponic system at CU Boulder relies on water and “soilless media” to provide nutrients to plants, allowing them to grow faster and produce greater yields on average.
Vertical farming allows for better space usage and efficiency, and automated operations help maintain optimal sunlight, shade, temperature and humidity levels, creating the best year-round growing conditions.
Sensors will monitor conditions to prevent fans, lights and other equipment from running unnecessarily when natural sunlight and other conditions are sufficient.
“I’m excited to get growing and hope this new greenhouse inspires people to be informed about where their food comes from,” Macmillan said. “It’s not grown by someone you’ve never met on some faraway farm with unknown farming practices. It’s me, right here, and you can literally see how I’m growing your food.”
Source: University of Colorado Boulder
Publication date :
Receive the daily newsletter in your email for free | Click here
Other news in this sector:
- 2018-12-18 US (RI): University launches hydroponics educational program
- 2018-12-17 US: Blue Stream Farms receives grant
- 2018-12-17 US: Take a peek inside one of the country's biggest aquaponics academies
- 2018-12-17 CAN (ON): Aquaponic cannabis grower expands with two new facilities
- 2018-12-13 US (PA): School opens 6,100 sq.ft. public educational aquaponics facility
- 2018-12-12 France: Rooftop farm grows plants, vodka and fish
- 2018-12-12 AVF advertises vertical farming in Asia
- 2018-12-12 Canada: An update on aquaponic organic certification
- 2018-12-11 US (MN): Students grow their own veggies at home
- 2018-12-11 Greek students design autonomous aquaponics system
- 2018-12-11 Ship to Plate, food grown onboard cruise condo ships
- 2018-12-10 Saba to set up hydroponic farm
- 2018-12-10 US (CT): Recap of 2018 Hartford Aquaponic Tours
- 2018-12-07 146 million USD invested in indoor ag this year
- 2018-12-05 We have lift-off
- 2018-12-05 "Nigeria’s small farmers are embracing hydroponics"
- 2018-12-05 Belgian supermarket to introduce in-store vertical farms
- 2018-12-04 France: Agricool raises 28 million US dollars for urban farming
- 2018-12-04 Advancements in automated commercial scale vertical farming
- 2018-11-30 Is digging down the future of vertical farming?