- Head of Sales
- Sales/Business development Manager - Floriculture - Kunming, China
- Sales Manager and Quality Assurance Supervisor
- Grower Support Manager (Blueberries) - Harare, Zimbabwe
- Finance Director - Ukraine
- Breeder (MSc) - Hann. Münden, Germany
- Buitendienst Medewerker - België
- Assistant Grower Manager Tomato & Capsicums - Malaysia Highlands
- Assistant Grower Manager Lettuce & Herbs - Malaysia Highlands
- Trainee Production Management - starting location Ethiopia
Top 5 -yesterday
- France: "Local cultivation is more than the right postal code"
- Machine locates fruits and measures level of ripeness
- Farm identified as source of romaine lettuce E. coli O157:H7 outbreak
- Indoor farming topic of discussion after Dutch farm bankruptcy
- CAN (ON): Aquaponic cannabis grower expands with two new facilities
Top 5 -last week
- Finland: Fully automatic vertical farm demo facility opened
- CAN (BC): "We have discovered the cannabis industry is not quite ready for outsourcing plant propagation"
- Georgia: Cucumber grower installs new grow lights for high quality winter crop
- 2018 Winter Light Greenhouse harvest: 122 kg cucumbers per square meter
- “Indoor farming is about producing an economic product by using technology”
Top 5 -last month
Australia: Mini cuke grower doubles acreage to 5 ha
Family Fresh Farms doubled their acreage by adding another 2.5 hectare greenhouse last year. Because there's no natural gas in the area, bio-energy is used to heat the greenhouse. Not just environmentally friendly, biomass has proved economical with the escalating cost of LPG, Andrew tells us. "The Justsen boiler and Javo loader have been great tools."
Mini cukes for maximum return
The mini cucumbers produced at the greenhouse are supplied to Perfection Fresh, who supply all the major grocery chains. Andrew says it's difficult to grow this crop profitably, often needing twice daily picking to stay within size. But specializing has paid off, because, in Andrew's words: "We do it when others can't!"
To pick all those snack cucumbers, workers are needed. By participating in the Seasonal Worker Programme, Family Fresh Farms contributes to the economic development of Vanuatu. When it's harvest time, workers arrive from Vanuatu. They come for six months, go home, and return six monthslater.
Andrew is very pleased with this arrangement. "Vanuatu workers are generally very humble, appreciative and willing to follow instructions. They live in good accommodation on the farm."
Family Fresh Farms have got a solid operation going, it seems, especially considering this is their first foray in this sector. So are there any plans for expansion? "At 2 x 2.5 hectares, we are at maximum on this site", Andrew tells us. But there is still room for expansion: "We are evaluating sites elsewhere. It seems, as is true for most businesses, that if it is run professionally it can be sustainable."
For more information:
Family Fresh Farms
13 Kilpa Road
+61 (0)418 711412
Receive the daily newsletter in your email for free | Click here
Other news in this sector:
- 2018-12-18 The secret to good crop rotation? Ghostbusters!
- 2018-12-18 China's pioneer in greenhouse vegetable farming
- 2018-12-18 "No guts, no glory"
- 2018-12-17 UK Government highlights horticultural innovations
- 2018-12-17 Meet the Nigerian farmer who grows crops in the air
- 2018-12-17 France: "Local cultivation is more than the right postal code"
- 2018-12-14 Ireland: Christmas campaign warns retailers against discounting fresh produce
- 2018-12-14 "The last planting got a boost this year"
- 2018-12-13 The greenhouse that never should have been
- 2018-12-13 Nothing is wasted in this greenhouse restaurant
- 2018-12-13 CAN (SK): Herb grower talks about switch to marijuana
- 2018-12-13 US: English teacher returned from Korea to grow microgreens
- 2018-12-13 “Indoor farming is about producing an economic product by using technology”
- 2018-12-12 US (FL): Two UF/IFAS researchers inducted into AAAS
- 2018-12-12 Greenhouse farming offers lifeline for Zimbabwe’s unemployed
- 2018-12-12 US: From food safety training to audit day
- 2018-12-11 US: Sustainability grants available to small farms
- 2018-12-11 "Switching in one go was the right choice"
- 2018-12-10 Australia: Granite Belt grower group formed
- 2018-12-10 CAN (ON): Suntech says no to cannabis