- Head of Sales
- Sales/Business development Manager - Floriculture - Kunming, China
- Sales Manager and Quality Assurance Supervisor
- Grower Support Manager (Blueberries) - Harare, Zimbabwe
- Finance Director - Ukraine
- Breeder (MSc) - Hann. Münden, Germany
- Buitendienst Medewerker - België
- Assistant Grower Manager Tomato & Capsicums - Malaysia Highlands
- Assistant Grower Manager Lettuce & Herbs - Malaysia Highlands
- Trainee Production Management - starting location Ethiopia
Top 5 -yesterday
- Finland: Fully automatic vertical farm demo facility opened
- 2018 Winter Light Greenhouse harvest: 122 kg cucumbers per square meter
- Cyclone Gaja tests resilience of coco industry
- US (MA): Lettuce grower reduces winter crop cycle by over 25% using LEDs
- 2019 trends - Naming babies after fruits and vegetables
Top 5 -last week
Top 5 -last month
Canada: University maps agriculture in British Columbia
Of that precious percentage, only half of the province’s Agricultural Land Reserve (ALR) is actively farmed.
Research released by the Institute for Sustainable Food Systems (ISFS) at Kwantlen Polytechnic University (KPU) was motivated by soaring costs and competing uses of farmland.
The white paper, Protection is not enough: Policy precedents to increase the agricultural use of British Columbia’s farmland, calls for policy reform to promote farming in the ALR, and explores a number of policy precedents from other regions, that could be adapted in B.C. to address this issue.
“Many of the policies presented challenge entrenched perspectives about property rights, land ownership, the sanctity of the free market ideal, the weighing of private interests against maintenance of public commons, as well as the role of government in conserving them,” said Dr. Kent Mullinix, director of the ISFS. “Critically examining and shifting many such perspectives will absolutely be necessary if we are to effectively address the challenge of food system sustainability and food security in the 21st century.”
The ISFS team began their intensive policy research in the summer of 2017, reviewing over 50 policy precedents from across Canada and internationally, but acknowledge that even more research is required to better understand how these policies can best be implemented, monitored, enforced, and remain relevant and effective in the long term.
The ultimate goal of the ISFS research is to present instructive policy precedents to start a conversation and promote policy development that addresses the underutilization of B.C.’s agricultural land.
“We explore policies that may otherwise be overlooked, or not readily imagined, in our current socio-economic-political environment,” added Mullinix. “We hope to stimulate the necessary debate and conversation that will move the stewardship of our agricultural land forward. The ALR has been effective in protecting agricultural land. Now it’s time to move beyond preservation. We need agricultural land to be used as intended and contribute to our sustainable future.”
The white paper, the brief, and the appendix are available at the KPU ISFS website: kpu.ca/isfs/agricultural-land-use-in-the-alr
Publication date :
Receive the daily newsletter in your email for free | Click here
Other news in this sector:
- 2018-12-14 Florida strawberries see strong early demand thanks to California weather
- 2018-12-14 “French farm sector review to be implemented early next year”
- 2018-12-14 "Mixed results greenhouse vegetables, phalaenopsis and lilies in crisis"
- 2018-12-14 Turkish tomato growers expect high demand in December from export markets
- 2018-12-14 Egypt: Nile Delta under threat from climate change
- 2018-12-14 2019 trends - Naming babies after fruits and vegetables
- 2018-12-14 Honduras: Authorities put obstacles in the path of veg exports
- 2018-12-14 Greenhouse acreage expanding faster in Morocco than in Spain
- 2018-12-14 "Politicians need to go and have a good look in the mirror at what they are doing"
- 2018-12-14 Vietnam: Seminar updates firms on Korean plant quarantine regulations
- 2018-12-13 New Zealand: Rising strawberry prices around Christmas 'unavoidable'
- 2018-12-13 Western Australian vegetable growers fear water licence fees
- 2018-12-13 US: Consumer horticulture proposal reviewers needed to impact how federal research dollars are spent
- 2018-12-13 Market scan: Japan's modern greenhouse industry
- 2018-12-13 US farmers hit by trade tariffs
- 2018-12-13 Microgreens provide budding Aussie businesses with fast-turnaround crops and ready market
- 2018-12-13 Westminster urged to promote fruit and vegetable sector
- 2018-12-13 Spain's minimum wage to jump 22% in new year
- 2018-12-13 Food bloggers weigh in on food trend realities
- 2018-12-13 Early winter storm challenges trucking in Southeastern U.S.