- Finance Director - Ukraine
- Sales Manager and Quality Assurance Supervisor
- Breeder (MSc) - Hann. Münden, Germany
- Buitendienst Medewerker - België
- Assistant Grower Manager Tomato & Capsicums - Malaysia Highlands
- Assistant Grower Manager Lettuce & Herbs - Malaysia Highlands
- Trainee Production Management - starting location Ethiopia
- Сhief technologist, Tula region - Russia
- Сhief technology officer, Tula region - Russia
- Controller Technician / Electrician - Horticulture, Australia
Top 5 -yesterday
- CAN (BC): "We have discovered the cannabis industry is not quite ready for outsourcing plant propagation"
- "Every time we are surprised by the ideas of our clients"
- Digestate as alternative substrate for soil-less lettuce farming
- It’s possible to grow more cucumbers via AI
- Turkey: Tomato grower goes bananas
Top 5 -last week
Top 5 -last month
Thousands gather to celebrate tomatoes in Almería
This event, which was organised by La Voz de Almería and Cadena SER with the institutional support of the City Council of Almería, the Provincial Council and Cajamar, gathered in this square of the city centre based around different stands on which the ten participating companies showed their products to the public.
Breaking previous participation records, people from Almería showed their enthusiasm for this event once again, in which different parallel activities were organized for the expanded programme.
Saturday included different exhibitions, tastings, sales of tomatoes with supportive purposes and even a flamenco-fusion concert. The children were also featured characters of this event thanks to the La Charanga Band of La Voz, accompanied by the event’s mascot, Tomatal; the mascot of La Voz de Almería, Vocito; and the heart that promotes the candidacy of Almería for 2019 Spanish Gastronomy Capital, which interacted with the surprised children. This was not the only activity for children; with drawing competitions, crafts workshop, sensorial tastings of fruits and vegetables and a photo call too.
One of the main characteristics of this Tomato Day was its charity nature. Early in the morning a healthy breakfast was served which was made up of sliced bread with olive oil, crushed tomato and coffee for only one Euro. The money collected went to the Association for Children with Disability in Almería (ANDA). The aim of this activity was not only the promotion of a healthy diet, but also a collaboration with this important association in the province. The charity nature of Tomato Day continued at lunch time when for the same price, one Euro, the organization offered a Cruzcampo beer with an appetizer. The money collected was given to the Red Cross. In addition to this, tomatoes were packed into bags and sold to the attendees for the benefit of the two collaborating associations. Tomatoes were supplied by several companies such as Única Group, Vicasol, Coprohníjar, Balcón de Níjar, Vegacañada, Hortamar, Agroponiente, La Unión, Casi and Caparrós Nature.
Several bars and restaurants in the centre also participated in this event and made different tapas whose main ingredient was the tomato. This initiative, promoted by the Provincial Association of Hotel Industry Businessmen (ASHAL), was a complete success. The Fundación Tecnova, the reference centre within the ancillary industry for agriculture, post-harvest and food production packaging also offered tomato tastings in the same Plaza Vieja.
Research and music
The Tomato Day had an important informative nature thanks to the exhibition ‘Genetic improvement of tomato” which created a great interest between the public and all the visitors were given the magazine ‘Tomate 3.0’, with different recipes.
The event was continuously enlivened by music, particularly at midday, when the group from Malaga 'Cantando bajito' performed its peculiar flamenco tracks in the Plaza Vieja. During its performance, a tribute was paid to the collaborating companies which demonstrated their commitment with the sector and the society in Almería. There was also an exhibition of Kia and Toyota cars, a live radiocasting of Cadena Ser Almería and raffles to enjoy a stay in the hotel Aire Almería.
The Tomato Day celebrated its fourth edition with the support of companies from different sectors and within the framework of the Plaza Vieja. Next year this event will celebrate its fifth edition.
Publication date :
Receive the daily newsletter in your email for free | Click here
Other news in this sector:
- 2018-12-12 International interest for HortiContact Tour 2019
- 2018-12-12 That is one hot girl... Woman wins Chinese chilli-eating contest
- 2018-12-06 Market explorations during ICOP 2018
- 2018-12-05 Netherlands: Preparations Mastercourse Vegetables in full swing
- 2018-12-05 “Don’t work together for subsidies but for a better future”
- 2018-12-05 EU organizes agri-food mission to United Arab Emirates
- 2018-12-05 The future of soil disinfestation in the European regulatory climate
- 2018-12-04 Photo report: GrowTech Eurasia 2018
- 2018-12-04 Fruit, Vegetables and Herbs Days at IPM Essen focus on young, urban target groups
- 2018-12-03 Photo report: GrowTech Eurasia 2018
- 2018-11-30 Last chance to register for MSU Extension Online Greenhouse Courses
- 2018-11-30 Final day to save 20% on Indoor Ag-Con Asia passes & exhibition tables
- 2018-11-30 Sneak peek: Third day of GrowTech Eurasia
- 2018-11-29 US (TX): “Get Plugged In” at AgGateway’s Annual Conference
- 2018-11-29 US (KY): Growers to gather at Fruit and Vegetable Conference
- 2018-11-29 Investments might be slow, but atmosphere's high in Turkish horticulture
- 2018-11-29 Greenhouse Technology Village at Macfrut: a fair within the fair
- 2018-11-29 "First more reservoir valves and then look further at water and drought"
- 2018-11-28 Netherlands: International Soft Fruit Conference 2019
- 2018-11-28 Growtech starts in Antalya