- Grower Support Manager (Blueberries) - Harare, Zimbabwe
- Finance Director - Ukraine
- Sales Manager and Quality Assurance Supervisor
- Breeder (MSc) - Hann. Münden, Germany
- Buitendienst Medewerker - België
- Assistant Grower Manager Tomato & Capsicums - Malaysia Highlands
- Assistant Grower Manager Lettuce & Herbs - Malaysia Highlands
- Trainee Production Management - starting location Ethiopia
- Сhief technologist, Tula region - Russia
- Сhief technology officer, Tula region - Russia
Top 5 -yesterday
- Georgia: Cucumber grower installs new grow lights for high quality winter crop
- “Indoor farming is about producing an economic product by using technology”
- First bananas harvested from Dutch greenhouse
- Market scan: Japan's modern greenhouse industry
- "Better to have a larger pipe with a small pump than vice versa"
Top 5 -last week
Top 5 -last month
California company introduces its first foodservice fresh-cut salad
Salinas, Ca.-based GreenGate Fresh LLC, via its sales team, Fresh Avenue, is launching its first fresh-cut coleslaw kit for foodservice. “The coleslaw kit was really the first in a series of fresh-cut kits I helped pioneer back almost 20 years ago now,” says Mark Vaughan of Fresh Avenue. The kits, containing vegetables, dressing and other ingredients, is being marketed to foodservice, deli and salad bar and other foodservice outlets.
Uniformity is key
The appeal of the kit is consistency and quality, says Vaughan. “It’s a very basic kit but it solves a quality and consistency issue particularly for delis, but also for restaurants around the country in that companies struggle with having consistency in every location,” he says. “With human input, the execution of recipes can begin to change a little bit. So the kit concept is designed for consistency—the human input is just emptying the pouches and thoroughly mixing the ingredients as directed. And it gave a fresh product that tasted great because it was fresh and tasted consistent. The supply chain is simplified because everything needed is consolidated in one place.”
The need for fresh
It also is appealing to foodservice clients looking for fresher product. “Generally pre-made coleslaw have high preservative components and these are very harsh and impact the flavor of that product,” says Jamie Shipley of Fresh Avenue. “The kit does away with all of that; the product is truly fresh.”
When it comes to flavour, the formulation took some work to get a product that would appeal across several demographics and regions. “We wanted a product that was not so region-specific but had some broad appeal,” says Vaughan. “So the coleslaw is sweet and tangy and not overpowering.”
The kit, which has been available for about three months to select retail deli operations, is rolling out nationally this week. Fresh ingredients for the kit are largely sourced from the West Coast and processed by GreenGate Fresh, who has a long history in agriculture. “Cabbage and carrots, which are in the coleslaw, are some of the more stable commodities so from a fresh vegetable supply standpoint, the supply is strong,” says Vaughan.
For more information:
Tel: + 1-888-FRESH40
Publication date :
Receive the daily newsletter in your email for free | Click here
Other news in this sector:
- 2018-12-14 "Wooden packaging can already replace any other material"
- 2018-12-10 British greengrocers: "Backlash against plastic has sparked trade boom"
- 2018-12-10 Baby bell pepper gets new sustainable packaging
- 2018-12-07 AU: The compostable berry containers helping tackle the war on plastic
- 2018-12-07 Less plastic, more pre-cut produce?
- 2018-12-07 Italy: Festive packaging for the Fellini Patrizio company
- 2018-12-04 Protection of our environment by packaging law
- 2018-12-03 Spain: Environmentally-friendly plastic made from horticultural waste
- 2018-11-29 Invention of a 100% green and recyclable packaging
- 2018-11-28 ‘Plastics Action Alliance’ to make Irish plastic packaging more sustainable
- 2018-11-26 "There is clearly a trend towards degradable packaging"
- 2018-11-23 "Increasing demand for beautiful and luxurious packaging in the vegetable sector"
- 2018-11-21 Mini cherry vine tomatoes at Penny in new Best Moments packaging
- 2018-11-19 Mini cherry vine tomatoes at Penny in new Best Moments packaging
- 2018-11-13 E-commerce platform JD - reusable packaging initiative
- 2018-11-09 'Premium berries should be offered in appropriate convenience packaging'
- 2018-10-24 HUSK™: The Fresh corrugated packaging of the future
- 2018-10-24 Canada: Smart packaging can reduce food safety incidents
- 2018-10-22 California greens grower debuting new packaging innovation
- 2018-10-19 New line of single serving specialty pepper bags