- Head of Sales
- Sales/Business development Manager - Floriculture - Kunming, China
- Sales Manager and Quality Assurance Supervisor
- Grower Support Manager (Blueberries) - Harare, Zimbabwe
- Finance Director - Ukraine
- Breeder (MSc) - Hann. Münden, Germany
- Buitendienst Medewerker - België
- Assistant Grower Manager Tomato & Capsicums - Malaysia Highlands
- Assistant Grower Manager Lettuce & Herbs - Malaysia Highlands
- Trainee Production Management - starting location Ethiopia
Top 5 -yesterday
- Finland: Fully automatic vertical farm demo facility opened
- 2018 Winter Light Greenhouse harvest: 122 kg cucumbers per square meter
- Cyclone Gaja tests resilience of coco industry
- US (MA): Lettuce grower reduces winter crop cycle by over 25% using LEDs
- 2019 trends - Naming babies after fruits and vegetables
Top 5 -last week
Top 5 -last month
European organic market grew by double digits in 2016
In 2016, almost 0.85 million hectares more were reported compared with 2015.
Also in 2016, the European organic sector experienced strong growth in terms of area, producers, and markets.
Almost 14 million hectares of farmland are organic in Europe – Spain has the largest area
In Europe, 13.5 million hectares were organic in 2016 (European Union: 12.1 million hectares). With more than 2 million hectares, Spain continues to be the country with the largest organic area in Europe, followed by Italy (1.8 million hectares) and France (1.5 million hectares).
Organic farmland increased by almost one million hectares
The organic land increased by almost one million hectares, representing an increase of 6.7 percent in Europe and 8.2 percent in the European Union. Growth was higher than in 2015 and substantially higher than in the first years of the current decade. In 2016, Italy reported over 300,000 hectares more than in 2015, and France reported over 200,000 hectares more.
Liechtenstein is the country with the highest organic share of the total farmland in the world
Organic farmland in Europe constitutes 2.7 percent of the total agricultural land and 6.7 percent in the European Union. In Europe (and globally), Liechtenstein has the highest organic share of all farmland (37.7 percent) followed by Austria, the country in the European Union with the highest organic share of agricultural land (21.9 percent). Nine European countries reported that at least 10 percent of their farmland is organic.
Organic producers on the rise
There were more than 370,000 organic producers in Europe (European Union: almost 300,000), and the largest numbers were in Turkey (almost 68,000) and Italy (more than 64,000). The number of producers grew by 7 percent in Europe (10 percent in the European Union) in 2016.
Strong growth of processors and importers
There were almost 66,000 processors in Europe and almost 63,000 in the European Union. Almost 4,700 importers were counted in Europe and almost 4,000 in the European Union. Particularly strong growth was noted for importers, which increased by double digits in both Europe and the European Union. The country with the largest number of processors was Italy (almost 17,000), while Germany had the most importers (almost 1,600).
Retail sales surpass the 30 billion euro mark in the European Union
Retail sales in Europe were valued at 33.5 billion euros (30.7 billion euros in the European Union). The European Union represents the second largest single market for organic products in the world after the United States.
Double-digit growth rates of retail sales in 2016
The European market recorded a growth rate of 11 percent (European Union: 12 percent), which is the second time retail sales have had a double-digit growth rate since the financial crisis. Among the key markets, the highest growth was observed in France (22 percent). In the decade 2007-2016, the value of European and European Union markets has more than doubled.
Switzerland has the highest per capita consumption of organic food in Europe and worldwide.
European consumers spend more on organic food
In Europe, consumers spent 41 euros on organic food per person (European Union: 61 euros). Per capita consumer spending on organic food has doubled in the last decade. The Swiss spent the most money on organic food (274 euros per capita).
Organic market shares now approaching the ten percent mark in some countries
Globally, European countries account for the highest shares of organic food sales as a percentage of their respective food markets. Denmark has the highest organic share (9.7 percent) worldwide. Individual products and product groups hold even higher shares. Organic eggs, for instance, constitute more than 20 percent of the value of all eggs sold in several countries.
The survey on organic farming in Europe was conducted by FiBL and AMI. The FiBL data collection activities were carried out under the framework of the global survey on organic farming supported by the Swiss State Secretariat for Economic Affairs (SECO), the International Trade Centre (ITC), NürnbergMesse, and IFOAM – Organics International.
For more information:
Publication date :
Receive the daily newsletter in your email for free | Click here
Other news in this sector:
- 2018-12-04 Organic farming increases despite the greater effort required
- 2018-11-20 US: Organic Trade Association seeking “big ideas” on voluntary check-off
- 2018-11-15 "More and more Moroccan growers switch because of good demand for organic"
- 2018-10-30 "Market for organic vegetables is nowhere near saturated"
- 2018-10-29 France: Study shows promising health effects of organic diet
- 2018-10-23 CAN (ON): Developing a strategy for better information on organic production
- 2018-10-08 UK: Organic sector calls for much clearer contingency measures as Brexit looms
- 2018-10-04 "Growing organic not always feasible"
- 2018-10-03 Spain: Cybelion receives organic certification
- 2018-09-26 Ukrainian government established 2-level control system for organic products
- 2018-09-21 US: Record number of Organic Trade Association members vote in Board election
- 2018-09-11 Government of Canada celebrates Organic Week
- 2018-09-10 "Congress should support organic farming"
- 2018-08-27 More than $8 million to help strengthen and grow Canada's organic sector
- 2018-08-27 "Organic food exports at mercy of EU discretion after no-deal Brexit"
- 2018-08-24 US: Edible Garden to supply organic leafy greens to national grocery chains
- 2018-08-21 Organic agriculture on the rise in Bulgaria
- 2018-08-08 How does an organic farm create its own organic fertilizer?
- 2018-08-08 US (PA): $500,000 for Rodale Institute to fund organic research
- 2018-07-20 Spain: CASI doubles acreage devoted to organic production