- Head of Sales
- Sales/Business development Manager - Floriculture - Kunming, China
- Sales Manager and Quality Assurance Supervisor
- Grower Support Manager (Blueberries) - Harare, Zimbabwe
- Finance Director - Ukraine
- Breeder (MSc) - Hann. Münden, Germany
- Buitendienst Medewerker - België
- Assistant Grower Manager Tomato & Capsicums - Malaysia Highlands
- Assistant Grower Manager Lettuce & Herbs - Malaysia Highlands
- Trainee Production Management - starting location Ethiopia
Top 5 -yesterday
- France: "Local cultivation is more than the right postal code"
- Machine locates fruits and measures level of ripeness
- Farm identified as source of romaine lettuce E. coli O157:H7 outbreak
- Indoor farming topic of discussion after Dutch farm bankruptcy
- CAN (ON): Aquaponic cannabis grower expands with two new facilities
Top 5 -last week
- Finland: Fully automatic vertical farm demo facility opened
- CAN (BC): "We have discovered the cannabis industry is not quite ready for outsourcing plant propagation"
- Georgia: Cucumber grower installs new grow lights for high quality winter crop
- 2018 Winter Light Greenhouse harvest: 122 kg cucumbers per square meter
- “Indoor farming is about producing an economic product by using technology”
Top 5 -last month
"Despite the hail storm we managed to grow 310 pieces per m2"
Diego Camacho (left) and Chris Valera (right)
“In 2017 we produced over 310 pieces per m2, even though we lost one ha due to a hail storm. Over 80% of the yield were mediums of 12.5 inches”, says Camacho. “Those are excellent results. For 2018 we will continue with Verdon and we will double the area of cucumbers. Our new goal is to reach 330 pieces per m2.”
Village Farms makes use of so called “GATES greenhouses” in Monahans. They work with a cooling system in the summer and artificial light in the winter. There is an energy screen and a blackout screen in the greenhouse. The high wire crop cycles last 15 weeks, so they grow 3.5 crops per year. In the summer they use 4.2 plants per m2 and in the winter they use 3.1 plants per m2.
“I have been growing cucumbers in Village Farms for over 3 years now, trialing different varieties”, Camacho explains. “The production of Verdon RZ is significantly higher than that of other varieties. It also has a better shelf life and a high tolerance against Cucumber Mosaic Virus (CMV). Verdon has been the best tasting cucumber so far and we have received nothing but positive feedback from our customers.”
For more information:
Publication date :
Receive the daily newsletter in your email for free | Click here
Other news in this sector:
- 2018-12-18 The secret to good crop rotation? Ghostbusters!
- 2018-12-18 China's pioneer in greenhouse vegetable farming
- 2018-12-18 "No guts, no glory"
- 2018-12-17 UK Government highlights horticultural innovations
- 2018-12-17 Meet the Nigerian farmer who grows crops in the air
- 2018-12-17 France: "Local cultivation is more than the right postal code"
- 2018-12-14 Ireland: Christmas campaign warns retailers against discounting fresh produce
- 2018-12-14 "The last planting got a boost this year"
- 2018-12-13 The greenhouse that never should have been
- 2018-12-13 Nothing is wasted in this greenhouse restaurant
- 2018-12-13 CAN (SK): Herb grower talks about switch to marijuana
- 2018-12-13 US: English teacher returned from Korea to grow microgreens
- 2018-12-13 “Indoor farming is about producing an economic product by using technology”
- 2018-12-12 US (FL): Two UF/IFAS researchers inducted into AAAS
- 2018-12-12 Greenhouse farming offers lifeline for Zimbabwe’s unemployed
- 2018-12-12 US: From food safety training to audit day
- 2018-12-11 US: Sustainability grants available to small farms
- 2018-12-11 "Switching in one go was the right choice"
- 2018-12-10 Australia: Granite Belt grower group formed
- 2018-12-10 CAN (ON): Suntech says no to cannabis