- Buitendienst Medewerker - België
- Assistant Grower Manager Tomato & Capsicums - Malaysia Highlands
- Assistant Grower Manager Lettuce & Herbs - Malaysia Highlands
- Trainee Production Management - starting location Ethiopia
- Сhief technologist, Tula region - Russia
- Сhief technology officer, Tula region - Russia
- Controller Technician / Electrician - Horticulture, Australia
- International Editor – Netherlands
- Farming Manager – Atherton Tablelands, Australia
- Sales Coordinator Europe Division
Top 5 -yesterday
Top 5 -last week
Top 5 -last month
How to reduce overwatering of growing media
Watering frequency and duration (amount of water) depend on the plant species, the stage of plant development, the growing medium selected and the growing environment. Water management is problematic when there is plant damage from overwatering or underwatering.
Typically, when a plant is overwatered, the leaves turn chlorotic, plant growth is stunted, algae start to grow on the surface of the substrate, the root respiration rate decreases, and the roots are more susceptible to root rot diseases like Pythium, Fusarium, Rhizoctonia and Alternaria.
On the other hand, when a plant is underwatered, transpiration ceases, the leaves are no longer turgid, nutrients, such as calcium, do not go to the furthest parts of the plant (this creates blossom end rot), the plant is under hydric stress, and growth and development are negatively affected.
Read more at PRO-MIX (Jose Chen Lopez)
Publication date :
Receive the daily newsletter in your email for free | Click here
Other news in this sector:
- 2018-12-10 Food & Energy training in South Africa
- 2018-12-06 "Think about how test results can be used to your advantage
- 2018-12-06 Austria: Vegetable harvest 2018 was significantly weaker
- 2018-12-05 Italy: the present and the future of the courgette
- 2018-12-04 Central Italy: Floods raise concerns about water stagnation
- 2018-12-03 South Italy: the effects of climate change on Italian produce
- 2018-11-29 "How you grow and process fresh cut basil will impact flavor and shelf life"
- 2018-11-22 Brazilian relative of the humble tomato is a true 'star'
- 2018-11-16 "Pepper grow trials using CO2 foliar spray technology show added value"
- 2018-11-16 Zimbabwe: Model horticulture farms in the pipeline
- 2018-11-16 "Cucumber cultivation in the future no longer feasible without lighting and further automation"
- 2018-11-15 Eye protection for indoor growers
- 2018-11-15 Spain: Aromatic and medicinal herbs, an alternative in irrigated areas
- 2018-11-15 US (NH): Pest and nutrient management in caterpillar tunnels
- 2018-11-13 The effects of water temperature in aquaponics
- 2018-11-06 Spectacular view of red peppers drying in the sun on military farms in Xinjiang
- 2018-11-06 Autumn strawberries production in Marche
- 2018-11-02 Experience from the field
- 2018-11-02 Growing a quality crop with limited water
- 2018-10-30 US (NY): Vegetable cover crops, research results to be featured in free webinars