- Grower Support Manager (Blueberries) - Harare, Zimbabwe
- Finance Director - Ukraine
- Sales Manager and Quality Assurance Supervisor
- Breeder (MSc) - Hann. Münden, Germany
- Buitendienst Medewerker - België
- Assistant Grower Manager Tomato & Capsicums - Malaysia Highlands
- Assistant Grower Manager Lettuce & Herbs - Malaysia Highlands
- Trainee Production Management - starting location Ethiopia
- Сhief technologist, Tula region - Russia
- Сhief technology officer, Tula region - Russia
Top 5 -yesterday
- Georgia: Cucumber grower installs new grow lights for high quality winter crop
- “Indoor farming is about producing an economic product by using technology”
- First bananas harvested from Dutch greenhouse
- Market scan: Japan's modern greenhouse industry
- "Better to have a larger pipe with a small pump than vice versa"
Top 5 -last week
Top 5 -last month
Canadian government called upon to create food policy council
“With such a short time frame for its development, A Food Policy for Canada alone cannot address all the complex issues and long-term challenges facing Canada’s food system,” said Prof. Evan Fraser, director of U of G’s Arrell Food Institute and holder of the Canada Research Chair in Global Food Security in the Department of Geography.
A proposed national food policy council would provide evidence-based advice on such challenges as food insecurity, diet-related disease, food safety and international trade, Fraser said.
Establishing such a group is the recommendation of a report released by an informal ad hoc working group on food policy governance, which includes Fraser and other members of the Arrell Food Institute. Also involved were the Canadian Federation of Agriculture, Food Secure Canada, Maple Leaf Centre for Action on Food Security and the J.W. McConnell Family Foundation.
The report was compiled at the request of an informal network of organizations in food and farming, civil society, and philanthropic and academic sectors.
Its recommendation follows discussions held by various stakeholders since the federal government announced this past spring that it plans to create a national food policy.
That policy is expected to set out short- and long-term goals for Canada’s food system under four themes: increasing access to affordable food; improving health and food safety; conserving soil, water and air; and growing high-quality food.
More than 40,000 Canadians have taken part in government-sponsored consultations intended to help shape a national policy, including a forum held at U of G.
Those discussions repeatedly called for a national group to support government and a Canadian food policy, the report said.
The proposed council would include members from government, civil society, academia and the private sector, and would monitor and advise on implementation of the national food policy.
“Equally important, a national food policy council will help build collaboration, elevate and coordinate programs, and drive change among these diverse stakeholders to accelerate progress toward the food policy’s objectives,” said Fraser, who spoke earlier this year to the House of Commons standing committee on food and agriculture.
“A national food policy requires thinking and rethinking about everything related to food,” he said, citing such issues as healthy eating, poverty and food security as well as environmental impacts of farming.
A Canadian policy must also consider economic opportunities, including food exports and digital technologies, notably big data and artificial intelligence, he said.
“Aligning actions, expertise and new programs with the national food policy, and establishing appropriate governance mechanisms, is also critical.”
Source: University of Guelph
Publication date :
Receive the daily newsletter in your email for free | Click here
Other news in this sector:
- 2018-12-14 Spain: Mercabarna opens up to organic produce
- 2018-12-14 US hospital prescribes and supplies healthy food
- 2018-12-14 Changes in the Board of Enza Zaden
- 2018-12-13 Turkish producer of sticky traps becomes part of Biobest Group
- 2018-12-13 Vitacress announces new senior appointments
- 2018-12-13 Chinese e-commerce App just raised $100M
- 2018-12-13 United Fresh encourages quick passage of Farm Bill this week
- 2018-12-12 Argus appoints new Strategic Supply Chain Manager, Cindy Sonnenberg
- 2018-12-11 PlantResponse closes $6.9 million funding
- 2018-12-10 Chinese retailer closes chain with opening 'largest plant factory in China'
- 2018-12-10 Google to take Wing delivery drones to Europe in 2019
- 2018-12-07 J. Erik Fyrwald to join Bunge board of directors
- 2018-12-07 Mauro Gómez Alvarado new country manager of Top Seeds Mexico
- 2018-12-07 Emirates SkyCargo: Fifth anniversary of Ecuador freight operations
- 2018-12-07 Metamorphosis of purchasing and sales organisation into direct partnerships from the source
- 2018-12-06 Sakata Seed opens commercial offices in Argentina
- 2018-12-06 Bosman Van Zaal on the move
- 2018-12-06 Four-Time NBA champion invests in foliar spray producer
- 2018-12-06 US (OR): New shared leadership announced at Fall Creek
- 2018-12-06 Victoria Lawrence joins Germains Seed Technology as Managing Director