- Sales Manager
- Group Chief Operating Officer
- Allround Medewerker Bedrijfsbureau - Est, Nederland
- General Manager Fresh Produce Manufacturing - Tasmania (Australia)
- Head Grower - Mason City (Iowa) USA
- Integrated Crop Management (ICM) Technician - Olds (Alberta) Canada
- Hoofd Engineering - Gameren, Nederland
- Manager Operations - Gameren, Nederland
- Master Vegetable - Flower Grower
- National Production & Technical Manager - Melbourne, Australia
Top 5 -yesterday
Top 5 -last week
Top 5 -last month
UK: Tesco launches indoor tomato plant
The mini tomato plant has been naturally developed over the last five years by produce experts who have bred together varieties to come up with one that is small, compact and most importantly very productive.
By following the care instructions the small, but powerful plants can each produce up to 150 tomatoes.
Tesco herb and vegetable buyer Phoebe Burgess said: “We hope this remarkable little powerhouse of a plant will help all those people eager to grow their own vegetables but don’t have a garden or adequate growing space to do so.
“It really is the gift that keeps on giving and will help bring not only an abundance of delicious tasting tomatoes but a lot of fun in producing one of the UK’s favourite salad foods.”
“Tomatoes are among the most popular fruit and vegetables to grow at home, but as even the most green-fingered of Brits know, the success of garden growing is often down to the weather, which in the UK can be quite unpredictable.”
“The beauty of the mini tomato plant is that it’s so small it can fit on a small, sunlit window sill and doesn’t grow much over one foot tall.”
The popularity of fresh growing herbs and vegetable plants is on the increase in the UK with demand rising by nearly 10 per cent at Tesco in the last year.
Added Phoebe Burgess: “Picked off the plant when perfectly ripe, the bite-sized tomatoes are juicy with a classic sweet flavour.”
“The plant already comes with about 10 tomatoes growing on it but my tip is that when the yellow flowers of the plant start to open, tickle them with your fingers to replicate pollination which will then encourage further production.”
The Mini Tomato Plant goes on sale this week priced at £4 and will be available in more than 300 Tesco stores across the UK.
For more information:
Receive the daily newsletter in your email for free | Click here
Other news in this sector:
- 2019-10-15 Indian government reviews tomato price situation
- 2019-10-15 Vegetable farming in Bangladesh rises sharply
- 2019-10-15 Spanish speaking countries
- 2019-10-14 "On average, the bell pepper season has been just right for Dutch growers"
- 2019-10-14 US: USDA’s McKinney leads mission to tap trade opportunities in Vietnam
- 2019-10-14 Indian government offers puree as alternative to costly tomatoes
- 2019-10-14 Criminals exploited 600 Romanian and Moldovan workers in Spain
- 2019-10-14 Australia: North Queensland melons making their way to Asia
- 2019-10-11 Storms and acreage reduction result in limited supply of leafy vegetables in Spain
- 2019-10-11 Productive season for fruit and veg growers in the Crimea
- 2019-10-11 Sharp drop in Polish greenhouse tomato prices
- 2019-10-10 Canada: Ontario government declares provincial food terminal a protected employment zone
- 2019-10-10 Fresno County is top agricultural county in California and US
- 2019-10-10 New ranking compares food security in cities
- 2019-10-10 US (FL): Virus in Mexican tomatoes causing concern, USDA action needed
- 2019-10-09 Seasonal rainfall outlook for vegetable growing regions Australia
- 2019-10-09 Quarter of Americans do not eat vegetables
- 2019-10-09 Which vegetables are technically fruit?
- 2019-10-09 Syria: Unprofitable tomato season for Daraa province
- 2019-10-09 Australian scientists want hairy & motivated flies