- Heat is transferred from the hot water pipe to an object; this type of heat transfer is considered radiant heat.
- This type of heating systems uses a boiler to heat water or to produce steam.
- Boilers can burn fuels like natural gas, wood, coal or fuel oil.
- Hot water systems are more efficient than steam systems.
- One by-product of the boiler is CO2. This gas can be trapped and delivered into the greenhouse to help the plants in the photosynthesis process.
- This system is recommended for large operations due to high installation and hardware cost.
- The warm water or steam has to be transported in pipes throughout the greenhouse.
- The efficiency can be higher than the use of forced air heater units because the greenhouse is heated uniformly; there is little need for ventilation.
- The pipes can be placed around the inside perimeter of the greenhouse in the case of a single-span greenhouse. For a gutter connected greenhouse, it is recommended to install pipes close to the gutters (to melt ice) and/or under growing benches.
- The water temperature for overhead systems can be up to 200˚F (94˚C) while the water under the benches can be up to 104˚F (40˚C).
- Floor heating is another method to heat the greenhouse with hot water. With this method, pipes are placed in the ground under a layer of concrete, gravel, sand or soil. Heating pipes form loops around the entire surface of the greenhouse. The water temperature can be up to 104˚F (40˚C).
- These systems require time to reach the desired temperature; similarly, it will take time to decrease the temperature.
- In greenhouses dedicated to vegetable production, two pipes carrying hot water are placed in the ground, parallel to the rows and between the rows. These pipes serve to heat the greenhouse and look like train rails. Trolleys can be used on these rails to transport produce, support equipment to spray plants or support equipment for people to work on plants.
- Another option for vegetable production is to place polyethylene pipes with warm water in close proximity to the plants.
- Finance Director - Ukraine
- Sales Manager and Quality Assurance Supervisor
- Breeder (MSc) - Hann. Münden, Germany
- Buitendienst Medewerker - België
- Assistant Grower Manager Tomato & Capsicums - Malaysia Highlands
- Assistant Grower Manager Lettuce & Herbs - Malaysia Highlands
- Trainee Production Management - starting location Ethiopia
- Сhief technologist, Tula region - Russia
- Сhief technology officer, Tula region - Russia
- Controller Technician / Electrician - Horticulture, Australia
Top 5 -yesterday
- "Almería a formidable competitor in fruit vegetable cultivation"
- Chinese retailer closes chain with opening 'largest plant factory in China'
- US (NV): Development starts at 1,000-acre cannabis farm
- Why Westlanders are proud of the Westland region
- The Soil Food Web for greenhouse production: bringing biology into the equation
Top 5 -last week
Top 5 -last month
US: Pointers on greenhouse heating and energy conservation
Publication date :
Receive the daily newsletter in your email for free | Click here
Other news in this sector:
- 2018-12-06 European call for an increased use of geothermal energy
- 2018-11-30 Iceland: Geothermal energy boosts year-round availability of fresh food
- 2018-11-28 CAN (BC): Langley greenhouses face steep heating bills after pipeline explosion
- 2018-11-27 Germany: Minister of Agriculture visits biogas specialist
- 2018-11-22 Lithium batteries now featuring charge indicator
- 2018-11-14 Digital solutions for better support to powergen customers
- 2018-11-12 CAN (ON): New energy system leads to more productive strawberry plants
- 2018-11-12 Government of Canada to support energy efficiency and climate action in Ontario
- 2018-11-07 Jenbacher gas engine supplier continues as stand-alone company
- 2018-11-02 North America: New national and regional natural gas indices
- 2018-11-01 UK: Energy saving programme extended to soft fruit sector
- 2018-10-31 "Tailor-made gas burners require tailor-made knowledge"
- 2018-10-30 Australia: Gas gives hope for tomato glasshouse
- 2018-10-30 CAN (BC): Bioenergy request for proposal posted
- 2018-10-29 "Federal carbon tax to provide some relief for greenhouse operators"
- 2018-10-26 CAN (BC): Greenhouse operators concerned about rising costs in wake of pipeline explosion
- 2018-10-25 "In 2030, 2040, 2050 we are fossil free"
- 2018-10-25 Research into Ultra-Deep geothermal heat in the Netherlands takes off
- 2018-10-22 US (OR): Shining a light on sustainable cannabis production
- 2018-10-18 Iceland: Geothermal energy could be used for dehydrating greenhouse tomatoes